X marks the spot

At the beginning of April, Hugh Jackman made an online announcement on YouTube of a contest that would get the world premiere of his upcoming movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine in the city with most votes.

Voting continues until Friday. To vote for Davis, go to x-menorigins.com/premiere and put in the 95616 area code.

The winning town will be announced on Monday, and the world premiere is scheduled for Apr. 27. The movie will be released in the theaters everywhere on May 1.

According to a press release from ASUCD Entertainment Council cinema coordinator Golda Criddle, as of Apr. 15, Davis was in the third spot, falling after cities in Arizona and Nebraska.

The world premiere would come with all the bells and whistles of a real Hollywood-style premiere: red carpet, klieg lights and media coverage. It has not yet been decided where the event will take place in Davis, though Criddle speculated a popular theatre downtown such as the Davis Varsity Theatre on Second Street.

We really want to encourage Davis students to log on and vote for Davis for the world premiere,said Christie Clemens of publicity and promotions of Terry Hines and Associates.

Terry Hines and Associates contacted all press members in the Bay Area, including Criddle.

We had a small X at first and one day we saw that it was just huge and decided to keep going,Criddle said.The more of us [who vote], the better to ensure that we get it.

EC started a Facebook event and started announcing it at other EC events.

It would be cool to see Hugh Jackman. We hope something will come out of this because it would be a really fun event to have at Davis to end the school year,she said.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be the first chapter of the origins saga.

ANGELA RUGGIERO can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.