Aggies sweep East Coast swing

Despite being a long way from northern California, the Aggies felt right at home in an East Coast swing.

In their three-game road sweep, UC Davis outscored its opponents by a combined 26 goals.

The trio of victories moved the Aggies to 5-1 on the season.

Wednesday – UC Davis 19, Central Connecticut State 11

The Aggies opened the week firing on all cylinders.

UC Davis exploded early, scoring twice within the first two minutes to take an early lead. The Aggies never trailed in the game, and by halftime they were holding a comfortable 11-3 advantage.

“It was all about our mentality,” said junior Vannessa Jamison. “We wanted to come out and make a statement. We started with high intensity and a lot of aggression.”

UC Davis held serve in the second frame, and locked down an eight-point win.

Senior Gina Hoffmire, who tied a career-high with seven goals, led the Aggies. Fellow senior Christina Corsa added three scores of her own.

UC Davis outshot the Blue Devils 40-23 in the game, with 32 of the Aggies’ shots on frame.

Friday – UC Davis 15, Temple 7

The Aggies’ second contest started differently, but yielded the same result.

UC Davis came out of the games slow, battling the Owls to a 5-5 halftime score.

“Temple was our biggest opponent of this trip,” Jamison said. “We didn’t really know what to expect before the game started. During the first half, we were testing the out, and we gave them too many shots.”

The second period, however, was all Aggies.

UC Davis scored 10 goals in the final half, taking control of the game. More importantly, however, may have been the Aggies’ defense.

UC Davis allowed just two goals in the second frame, and secured their second straight win by eight goals.

“In the second half we showed a lot of heart defensively,” Jamison said. “We communicated and we trusted each other, and it worked out for us.”

Corsa led the team with five goals, while sophomore Hannah Mirza added three scores.

Jamison, Elizabeth Datino and Meghan Jordan each logged two assists.

Sunday – UC Davis 21, Detroit 11

UC Davis made quick work of Detroit to finish the road trip.

The Aggies began the game in dominating fashion, scoring the first eight goals of the contest.

The Aggies took a 10-goal lead into the break, and played the Titans even in the second period to lock down the win.

Datino scored six goals to lead the game, while Hoffmire netted five.

Corsa was the top distributor, tallying five assists, while Jamison added three.

The victory over the Titans was UC Davis’ fifth straight win, and the team is confident about where they are at this point in the season.

“We feel great [about where we are right now],” Jamison said. “We feel confident and we have great expectations for the rest of the season.”

UC Davis hosts Bryant this Friday at 3 p.m.

TREVOR CRAMER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.