News in Brief: Student groups to host dance event for charity

Electronic music isn’t exactly synonymous with philanthropy, but the student group Electronic Music for Change (EMC) is looking to change that.

On May 12, EMC and the Theta Xi fraternity are teaming up to present Unity, an electronic dance event featuring popular Australian DJ and producer TyDi.

Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Children’s Miracle Network, EMC’s chosen charity and Habitat for Humanity, Theta Xi’s chosen charity.

“Theta Xi decided to co-host events with EMC due to mutual interests in the areas of philanthropy and electronic music,” said Shivu Srinivasan, head of the Theta Xi concert committee. “Instead of throwing a concert at our house this year we chose to collaborate with EMC on their third annual Unity, part of their Davis Dance Series which includes Fantasy and Mystery.”

Unity will take place in Freeborn Hall and tickets are available at the Freeborn Hall ticket office for $20. To purchase a ticket, students must be over 18 and have a UC Davis ID. Students are allowed to bring one outside guest. Other DJs performing at the event include Liam Shy, c Kay and Dubzilla.

DJ Dubzilla, also known as UC Davis undergraduate Will Bauer, recently won a national Dubstep contest online. He believes EMC is a great idea and is happy electronic music is reaching a larger crowd.

“The more people that attend electronic music events like Unity, the more people realize how awesome the community and vibe is,” Bauer said.

Recently, there have been a growing number of electronic music events taking place in Davis, and Srinivasan doesn’t see this trend changing.

“Electronic music has definitely made a more prominent move into the mainstream music scene over the past couple years, as many famous DJs and producers have collaborated with artists from different genres and produced billboard hits,” he said. “Several venues downtown have started hosting electronic music nights on a weekly basis so EMC and Theta Xi is confident that Unity will attract a large crowd.”

– Andy Verderosa