Dickey’s Barbecue comes to Davis

Almost any type of restaurant can be found in Davis: Indian, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Irish — there is a restaurant to satisfy any craving a college student might have. The one cuisine in which Davis is lacking is southern food. In January 2014, a Dickey’s Barbecue will open on West Covell Boulevard.

James Domic, one of the owners of the Davis branch, is excited by the opportunities the Davis population will offer.

“Davis gives us a unique opportunity. The population doubles during the school year. Our restaurant gives students a way to get great food without having to pay extra for a tip,” Domic said.

The owners want to make Dickey’s as accessible to students as possible. They are accepting Aggie Cash, thinking of student discounts and partnering with university athletics for promotional purposes.

Students agree that Dickey’s will be a nice addition to the Davis atmosphere and food selection. Paige Kelty, a second-year communication major, thinks the restaurant will be successful.

“To my knowledge there are no other southern restaurants in Davis. College students are more likely to go there because it is efficient, fast, and hey, everyone loves that good southern cookin’,” Kelty said.

Michelle Rebuffatti, a second-year biology major agrees that the Dickey’s Barbecue will be a success.

“Davis students appreciate variety and adding a new flavor to Davis’ selection,” Rebuffatti said.

Updates on the restaurant’s renovations and deals it will offer when it opens can be found on their Facebook page.

DANIELLE BROWN can be reached at city@theaggie.org.