This week in UC Davis sports

Aggies sports action from May 4 to 10

Baseball (28-21-1):
UC Davis @ Sacramento State (L, 7-1)

UC Davis vs. CSU Northridge (W, W, L)

The Aggies came into the week with three straight losses before travelling across the Causeway to face Sacramento State. Senior Nick Lynch became the fourth Aggie to reach 200 games played and he made noise, tying the UC Davis record for doubles in a career with 52. Lynch leads the nation in doubles this season with 27, but his play wasn’t enough to propel the Aggies to victory.

After the road loss, the Aggies ripped off two straight victories against California State University Northridge before falling in the third of the series. The first game was a tight game, with UC Davis falling behind by one headed into the final inning. The team answered with three runs, including two batted in by senior Izaak Silva. Lynch made his name known once again in the second game as he went 4-5 with two doubles on the day, leading the Aggies to 15 hits and 10 runs scored.

Even with a stellar offensive game fresh in their minds, UC Davis was simply unable to score in the final game of the series, despite eight hits. The Aggies scored just one run, despite senior Tino Lipson going 3-4 with a pair of doubles. The team will now embark on a four-game road trip to face Saint Mary’s College and Long Beach State.

Women’s Golf:
NCAA Regionals (Third place)

UC Davis women’s golf needed to score within the top six teams in the field to advance to the NCAA Finals. They did just that, finishing third overall to book themselves a place in Bradenton, Fla. The Aggies started the first day off strong, finishing in fourth place and only two strokes out of second. Sophomore Paige Lee and senior Blair Lewis each finished 1-under 71, tying for fifth individually.

The team slipped slightly over the second day, falling to fifth place while losing their hold of the top five on the individual leaderboard. Lee finished the day in eighth after a 1-over 73, while Lewis added a 2-over 74 to finish in 10th. The Aggies saw solid play from the rest of the team, however, as the other three players each increased their ranking. Junior Betty Chen shot a 1-over 73 after struggling to a 12-over 84 on the first day.

The final day saw the same consistent play that had led the Aggies through the first two days, with three of the five golfers increasing their individual placement. Lewis finished the tournament in an Aggie-best fifth place after an even 72. Senior Beverly Vatananugulkit shot a 1-over 73, giving her a better finish on each consecutive day, to land at No. 41, while junior Andrea Wong nearly cracked the top 20 with a 2-over 74. Since they finished third in the tournament, the Aggies will play in the NCAA Finals on May 22 to 27.

Softball (18-31):
UC Davis @ Hawai’i (L, L, L)

The Aggies opened up the final series of the year with a double header in Hawai’i. UC Davis jumped to an early lead in the first game, scoring five runs in the first three innings. The Rainbow Wahine had an answer, however, and it came in the form of six points in the fourth inning to take a 9-5 lead that was not broken. The second game saw a similar offensive explosion, albeit for two straight innings, as Hawai’i won the game with six and five runs in the second and third innings respectively. UC Davis was only able to garner four hits and one run in the game.

With the series already lost, the Aggies attempted to gain some closure to the season with a win in the final game. Three UC Davis players finished up the last game of their careers, but the team was simply unable to capture the win. The Aggies lost 7-1, with four of the Hawai’i runs coming off of a grand slam. UC Davis finished the season No. six in the Big West Conference with a record of 18-31.

Track and Field:

Big West Conference Multi-Championships (M – 0, W – 5)

Sacramento State Open

USF West Coast Last Chance Meet

Decathletes and Heptathletes headed to Riverside, Calif. to face off in the Big West Conference Multi-Championships. Sophomore Hawk Hammer was the lone competitor for the men’s division and he finished No. 13 overall, moving up from 15th place on the first day. Junior Tori Edwards was outstanding for the women, finishing fourth overall. Senior Murphy Nicholson added a No. 10 finish, and the women left the meet with five points towards their Big West total.

The Aggies also took part in the Sacramento State Open, with junior Therica McCord finishing No. 11 and 10 in the 100-meter and 200-meter respectively. Senior Marcus Johnson added 10th and fifth place finishes in the 100-meter and 200-meter while sophomore Jelani Legohn added a No. 7 spot in the 400-meter hurdles.

In the USF West Coast Last Chance Meet, junior Patrick Fitzgerald took No. 17 in the 800-meter and 1500-meter while sophomore Olivia Goins added another 17th place finish in the 5000-meter. The Aggies will take part in the rest of the Big West Championships May 15 and 16.

Graphic by CA Aggie Graphic Design Team.