This Week in Sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Men’s Tennis

Pacific Tiger Invitational

Two singles and two doubles teams advanced to the finals of the Pacific Tiger Invitational in Stockton, and doubles team juniors Eli Whittle and Jesse Ross took home first place in the Flight B doubles main draw championship. Junior Bryce McKelvie advanced to the Flight A finals but lost in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. Alongside sophomore Tommy Lam, he played for the Flight A doubles title as well but fell to the Tigers 6-3.

Men’s tennis now goes on a hiatus until Jan. 13, when they will compete against Stanford.

Men’s Soccer (7-9-3)

UC Davis at Cal Poly (T, 0-0)

UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara (L, 1-0)

It was a tough game on the road for the Aggies as they stoutly defended themselves against the Mustangs, but with goalkeeper Armando Quezada’s three saves, the match ended in a draw after 110 minutes of play.

The last league match of the season was played against UC Santa Barbara on the Aggie soccer field. The sole goal of the match was scored by UCSB just three minutes before halftime. Despite the 1-0 loss, the Aggies keep their spot in the Big West Tournament and play against the second place team out of the South Division on Nov. 7.

Women’s Soccer (10-7-2)

UC Davis at Long Beach State (L, 2-0)

UC Davis at UC Irvine (W, 2-1)

The women’s soccer team took on their second-to-last league match against Long Beach on Thursday in hopes of clinching a spot in the Big West Tournament playoffs. Despite keeping possession throughout most the game, one goal by the 49er’s in the 39th minute and another in the 61st created a deficit that was hard to overcome. This loss means that the Aggies will play their last match of the year against UC Irvine.

The Aggies triumphed over the UC Irvine Anteaters on Sunday. The first half was scoreless but in the second, freshman midfielder Mckenna Moriarty and sophomore forward Zuzu Romano secured the victory with their two goals. Thus, the Aggies concluded their season on a high note, with an overall record of 10-7-2 and going 3-4-1 in the Big West Conference.

Women’s Volleyball (11-14)

UC Davis vs. CSUN (W, 3-2)

UC Davis vs. Long Beach State (L, 3-1)

It was a day of career highs for the Aggies as they battled out five sets neck-to-neck against CSUN on Thursday in the Pavilion, ending with a score of 25-20, 26-28, 25-16, 15-25, 15-8. Standouts included senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres who tied the school record for most aces in a game while freshmen opposite Nicola Moore and redshirt middle blocker Kelechi Ohiri made career-high kills, hitting 14 and 12 respectively. The close match ended in a win for the Aggies.

The Aggies made a comeback in the third set on Saturday night’s Big West Conference game against Long Beach State but were unable hold off the Longhorns, who won 25-10, 25-22, 22-25, 25-20. Their next game will be held at UC Santa Barbara on Nov. 6.

Field Hockey (8-11)

UC Davis vs California (W, 4-3)

The festivities of Senior Day began before the game as seven graduating student-athletes were honored, among which were juniors Danielle Koehne and Erica Cohen, and seniors Courtney Hazy, Linnea Whitney, Hannah Drawbridge, Martha Duterte and Jamie Garcia. Cal made a dent in the mood when they scored four minutes into the game, but at the 17th minute forward Koehne made a goal and evened out the score to 1-1.

Both UC Davis and Cal scored again in the first half, creating a 2-2 tie. To counter another Golden Bear point in the beginning of the second half, midfielder Garcia scored two points within 15 minutes of each other and the Aggies captured the win. Check out a full recap by sports reporter Veronica Vargo here.

The UC Davis field hockey team ends its season with an overall record of 8-11.

Men’s Water Polo (15-7)

UC Davis vs. Fresno Pacific (W, 21-7)

The Aggies recorded a season high of 21 goals on the Friday night game against Fresno Pacific. Before the game, seniors Evan MacCarthy, Wes Lincoln, Sean Grab, Nico Chapman, and Austin Beckwith were honored for Senior Night.

The Aggies continue their conference winning streak at 4-0 and 15-7 overall. Their next game will be at UC San Diego on Nov. 5 and Loyola Marymount on Nov. 7.

Women’s Swimming and Diving (203-97)

UC Davis at Nevada

UC Davis vs. Loyola Marymount

The season opener for women’s swim and dive was at the Lombardi Pool in Nevada on Friday night. It was a successful start for many newcomers, with freshman Solie Laughlin winning the 200 back and freshman Mia Facey finishing top three in 100, 200, and 50 free. Junior Hilvy Cheung placed first in both the 100 and 200 butterfly.

The Aggies increased their record to 1-1 at the swim/dive dual against Loyola Marymount, where standout seniors Lucy Lafranchise and Audrey DeNeffe both broke the school record on the 1-meter dive board. Sophomore Courtney Schultz and junior Kristen Brand all placed first in their events, leading the Aggies to a 160-112 victory.

The next dual event will be on Nov. 6 at Utah and Nov. 7 at Brigham Young University.

Cross Country

Big West Conference Championships

The women’s cross country team had a successful finish, as seniors Erika Barr and Christine Hoffman took third and sixth place in the 6-kilometer race. Overall, they placed third in the team category as the men’s team bounced back from a disappointing sixth place finish last year by taking third place behind UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly. Senior Trevor Halsted placed ninth in his individual 8-kilometer race.

The 2015 Doc Adams Open will be hosted by UC Davis at the Putah Creek Reserve Course on Nov. 7.