Samantha Chiang resigns as ASUCD senator

ARIEL ROBBINS / AGGIE FILE

Interim senator to be appointed

Samantha Chiang, a third-year English major, resigned from her position as an ASUCD senator on May 22 due to personal matters.

Chiang had served as a senator since Winter Quarter of 2016 and was recently reelected during Winter Quarter 2017. During her terms, Chiang advocated for improving the mental health resources available on campus; she worked to establish both the Mental Health Conference held in February and the recent Mental Health Awareness Month.

Chiang said the choice to resign would be best for her self care, but that she was appreciative of the platform ASUCD gave her to be a voice in the mental health community.

“I am infinitely grateful for my time in the association that has empowered me to make tangible change in the mental health community on campus, but the truth is that an institution can and will never love any individuals,” Chiang said via email. “ASUCD, as a structure, will always reinforce the hegemony, particularly gendered and racial power dynamics. I resigned because I do not need to be complicit in my own deteriorating mental health in order to advocate for my community. I’ve taken the resources and connections I need to continue to spearhead mental health advocacy effects and, rest assured, I fully intend to do so.”

According to the ASUCD Constitution, Chiang’s replacement will be appointed after the 2017 ASUCD Winter Quarter election votes are recounted excluding the votes she received. The candidate with the next highest number of votes will be offered the senator position. Should that individual decline the position, ASUCD President Josh Dalavai has authority to choose an interim candidate from a pool of applicants on vacancy.ucdavis.edu who would serve until the 2017 Fall Quarter election.

Written by: Lindsay Floyd –— campus@theaggie.org