Monday, May 6, 2024

Best coffee shop: Mishka’s Café

Their cozy vibe, artisanal lattes and their pastries are a crowd favorite

By RAGAVI GOYAL — features@theaggie.org  

With lingering aromas of the brewing coffee, light jazz playing in the background, warm lighting and the chatter of college students studying with one another, Mishka’s Café makes for the best coffee in Davis. Preferred by 27.7% of this year’s Best of Davis respondents, this coffee shop has everything from delicious coffee to the best vibes for both socializing and studying. 

Located in downtown Davis on 2nd Street, Mishka’s was founded in 1995 to create an environment that matches the atmosphere of old European cafes, according to their website. The name, Mishka’s, comes from the name of a “big black friendly cat,” to which the Mishka’s website owes its success to.

The coffee shop offers high-quality and freshly roasted beans and various teas for the non-coffee drinkers. 

They have a wide variety of lattes and an array of unique flavors such as their rose latte, lavender latte, turmeric latte and midnight mocha. The coffee shop also offers special drinks for the holidays. 

Mishka’s is also known for their pastries and baked goods, with the majority being freshly made each morning. Some of their more popular pastries include the blueberry scone and the coffee crumble cake. 

“We’re here almost every day,” Jenny, a UC Davis graduate student in psychology said. “I get the white mocha every time.” 

Ria, a fourth-year human development major, believes that Mishka’s is the perfect coffee shop for any occasion, whether it be for studying, catching up with friends or grabbing a bite to eat. 

“You look around and there’s all sorts of people,” Ria said. “There’s always people on a first date, people who are studying or friends just hanging out. It’s just really a wonderful environment to be in.” 

Ria continued to say that she likes Mishka’s especially because of their wide selection of teas.

“Usually, coffee shops don’t really value teas as much and that is why I like Mishka’s,” Ria said.

She concluded by discussing the warm environment created by the staff at Mishka’s.

“The staff is really friendly,” Ria said. “They are always super welcoming.”

Written by: Ragavi Goyal — features@theaggie.org