Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Best date spot: Davis Farmers Market

The Davis Farmers Market is a favorite date spot, according to students 

By ELIZABETH WOODHALL — features@theaggie.org 

The Davis Farmers Market is a staple for anyone who has lived in Davis and serves as the heart of the city. Fresh produce and local vendors come together in Central Park every Wednesday and Saturday, making it easy for students and families to become involved in the community while doing their weekly grocery shopping. If you’ve ever been on a date in Davis, you know the options are pretty limited. Davis’ farmers market serves as the ideal date spot in Davis, and 40.4% of students agree. 

The farmers market offers a spot for couples to have a relaxing Saturday morning getting some baked goods, having breakfast and buying produce to make a home-cooked meal together. Catalina French, a fourth-year English major, shared that the farmers market allowed her and her partner to sit down, have breakfast and become involved in the Davis community early on in their relationship. 

“I love the Davis Farmers Market,” French said. “I think when we first started going out, we would go for breakfast — that was our weekly routine as a couple. In the beginning of our relationship, we would go to the farmers market for breakfast and would just sit on the steps of Central Park and watch the community but also talk with each other. There are so many cute little kids and animals, and it feels like the heart of the Davis community. But yeah, definitely a date spot.”

Joana Maria Rose, a fourth-year wildlife, fish and conservation biology major, shared that the farmers market is an ideal spot for couples as it helps them browse around while not breaking the bank. 

“I’ve been on a couple of dates to the farmers market, and I think it’s an immaculate vibe,” Rose said. “I especially think it’s a great date, because it’s during the day, you can people watch, buy fresh produce and if you’re broke, you don’t have to spend money. Coffee dates are so boring, and the farmers market is not!”

Seth Whiteaker, a fourth-year ecological management and restoration major, said that it was his favorite spot during the pandemic because it allowed him to make home-cooked meals and have the opportunity to become part of the community during quarantine. 

“Later into the pandemic when I began to go with my partner, you could really feel the community was extra pronounced with everyone there, all [of] the shops open and all [of] the people there,” Whiteaker said. “I grew up in Orange County, where all [of] the farmers markets have mostly vendors, which isn’t a bad thing, but it’s one of the reasons that Davis is just an amazing place to be since we’re right in the center of so much fresh produce.” 

Additionally, the farmers market allows couples to make affordable meals with fresh produce, according to French. 

“Organic fresh produce is usually restricted to people who have money, and as college students living together and paying astronomically high rent, it’s so hard to find places that are cheap and affordable,” French said. “We can go to the farmers market, because they allow us to use [Electronic Benefit Transfer] EBT, and they’re so accessible to families of color and low-income families. So, we made it our weekly ritual; like every Saturday during last year, we would go to the farmers market, and we would buy at least [one thing] for our weekly dinners.”

The Farmers Market offers couples a chance to make affordable meals, connect with the community and get out of the house to explore everything Davis has to offer. If you want to go on a date, look no further than this bustling market filled with local vendors, pets and fresh produce. 

Written by: Elizabeth Woodhall  — features@theaggie.org