Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Culture Corner

The Arts Desk’s weekly picks for music, movies and more

By NATALIE SALTER — arts@theaggie.org 

Song: “Where or When” by Laufey (2024)

“Bewitched” singer Laufey has long captivated fans with her melodious voice and romantic lyricism, and her newest musical release further showcases her enchanting talents. The single “Where or When” is a beautiful, dark piece that is perfect for autumn, with a haunting piano melody that invokes the feeling of reading Gothic literature or wandering the halls of an old art museum. The song is one of Laufey’s most cinematic yet, and her rich vocals only enhance the immersive listening experience. It’s a perfect fit for your autumnal playlist and, if you’re unfamiliar with Laufey, a surefire gateway drug to the bewitching world that she creates with her music.

Book: “If You Could See the Sun” by Ann Liang (2022)

Being a scholarship student at a prestigious Beijing international boarding school, Alice Sun already feels an immense pressure on her shoulders to succeed. However, her rigidly organized life takes an unexpected turn when she finds herself spontaneously and uncontrollably turning invisible throughout her daily life. When she realizes that tuition prices have jumped beyond what her family can afford, Alice decides to make use of her new supernatural powers to anonymously discover secrets and unveil scandals for her classmates in exchange for money. “If You Could See The Sun” is an exciting and unforgettable novel that you won’t be able to put down for a moment, especially as Alice’s jobs become more dangerous than ever before. With charming characters, heartwarming friendships and romance and plenty of unexpected twists and turns, this wonderful young adult standalone would make a great addition to your bookshelf this fall.

Show: “Fallout” dir. Graham Wagner, Geneva Robertson-Dworet (2024)

Based on the popular video game series of the same name, the new series “Fallout” premiered its first season earlier this year. Set in a retro futuristic America ravaged by nuclear war, the show follows protagonist Lucy MacLean, an enthusiastic and hardworking young woman living in one of the country’s many nuclear fallout shelters known as vaults. When her home is attacked and her father kidnapped by a group of humans from the surface, Lucy finds herself leaving the safety of the vault to save him. What ensues is an exciting and memorable adventure through a post-apocalyptic nuclear landscape, wherein Lucy discovers secrets that may upend the way she sees the world around her. With excellent performances from all of its leading cast and a wonderfully executed aesthetic vision, “Fallout” may be one of the most enjoyable video game adaptations yet, for both fans of the series and newcomers alike. 

Album: “Charm” by Clairo (2024)

Since the release of her album “Immunity” in 2019, Clairo has proved her talent as an artist, effortlessly crafting captivating yet calming musical landscapes tied together with emotionally earnest songwriting. Her newest album, “Charm,” only solidifies her prowess. She explores relatable topics through beautiful lyrics set against gentle, infectious indie-pop backgrounds. From the album’s cinematic opener “Nomad” to its quiet close on “Pier 4,” this album may be some of Clairo’s best work yet, and it’s easy to become obsessed with every song. Though you should absolutely listen to the album in its entirety, standouts include the addictive “Juna” and the comfortingly melodious “Slow Dance.” If you’ve enjoyed Clairo’s releases in the past, be sure not to miss what is certainly one of the most authentic creations of her career thus far.

Written by Natalie Salter —- arts@theaggie.org