Tuesday, May 7, 2024

New group puts on week of sex workshops

The g-spot is real and starting Monday, Sex Lust Un-Tamed will be putting on a whole week’s worth of workshops focused on this and other sexually related topics.

Sex Lust Un-Tamed, which can conveniently be abbreviated to SLUT, is a new interest group that plans on donating all of its benefits to San Francisco AIDS charities. This is the organization’s first event, called Valentine’s Week, and they plan on starting off with a bang, literally.

“Basically, we want to raise awareness of our group with Valentine’s Week,” said Molly Russell, president of Sex Lust Un-Tamed and a sophomore undeclared major. “We decided to create a fun environment where we can talk about sex.”

The Facebook event reports over 600 guests planning to attend, but Russell said she would be happy with just a classroom-full.

“It’s about opening yourself up to the topic of sex,” Russell said. “I feel like there is a lot of sexual frustration on this campus and this is definitely a great outlet for it.”

The events will take place on campus all week and each night will feature a different topic. The nights have been aptly named, Female Ejaculation – the G-Spot and Multiple O’s, Sensual Spanking and Erotic Touch, Spank and Tickle: Exploring the Kinky Arts, Ohhh Right There! The Art of Sexual Pleasure and Passionate Fury: Angry Sex, Kink and Sexual Pleasure.

Special guest speakers and sexologists will lead the workshops, which are free to attend. Friday’s workshop will even feature Veronica Monet, a former prostitute and author of the book, Sex Secrets of Escorts: Tips from a Pro.

All of the guest speakers have volunteered to donate their time for free to support the new organization.

“They are willing to support our cause because they have first-hand experience on how hard it is to reach out to a community about sex topics,” said Melanie Larkin, vice president of the new club and a sophomore psychology major.

Russell encourages all who are interested to come and at least check out one workshop.

“The people that are going to be attending aren’t the kind of people who are going to make fun [of others],” she said. “There’s no reason to feel uncomfortable since attendees will be those who genuinely want to be there.”

Valentine’s Week is in no way associated with the Gender and Sexuality Commission (GASC) nor GASC’s annual Generation Sex Week, which will take place the following week from Feb. 14 to 18.

Caitlin Alday, chair of GASC, is happy to see more sex centered events on campus, but offers a few warnings.

“GASC supports conversations about sex and sexuality,” Alday said. “We just need to make sure those conversations are for all kinds of people with different sexualities, abilities and preferences.”

Alday pointed out that some of the events seem to be heterosexist and aimed at couples or people in monogamous relationships, but hopes the workshops take a more holistic approach to sex and sexuality.

“It’s fun for couples to come especially since it’s right before Valentine’s Day,” Larkin said. “But we definitely encourage singles to come too – you don’t need to be in a relationship to learn how to become a better sexual partner.”

Sex Lust Un-Tamed has a Facebook page and if you “Like” it, you will be entered to win a sex toy. Three winners will be chosen randomly Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. The event’s Facebook page has more information about the individual workshops’ times and locations.

Russell is optimistic and excited for Valentine’s Week and can’t wait to open up discussion on sex and sexuality.

“The g-spot is definitely, definitely not a myth,” she said. “Come to our workshop and find out all about it.”

ANDY VERDEROSA can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.