Best General Education Course

1. Food Sciences and Technology 3: Introduction to Beer and Brewing

2. Human Development 12: Human Sexuality

3. Nutrition 10: Discoveries and Concepts in Nutrition

Not many college grads across the country can say they took a course in beer making during college. But for UC Davis grads, this is almost a rite of passage.

Because beer is an integral part of many students’ college experiences, it comes as no surprise that Food Science and Technology 3: Introduction to Beer and Brewing has emerged as this year’s winner for best general education class.

Covering a wide range of topics from the history of brewing and brewing science to the types of beer worldwide and world beer markets, students find this class to be especially fun and upbeat. Much of this is due to its instructor, Charles Bamforth.

“The thing I like most about this class is the professor. He has a great personality and cracks a lot of jokes,” said Will Bauer, senior evolution and ecology major.

Charles Bamforth believes students enjoy this class because it combines fun with learning.

“This class has lots of laughs but also lots of learning. [Students] get to meet and hear from some great names from the brewing industry and get to realize that beer is a wonderful vehicle for understanding the application of science,” Bamforth said.

Taking a class about an activity almost all college students participate in seems to be a major driving factor. Danny Carlson, a senior environmental policy analysis and planning major, agreed.

“I thought it would be interesting to learn a little bit more about the thing I drink so much of,” Carlson said. “It’s also interesting to learn about the international consumption of beer.”

Bamforth added that one of the integral concepts he emphasizes in his class is that: “I teach them that beer is fun, but like everything else in life needs to be treated with moderation and respect.”

Rounding out second and third place were Human Development 12: Human Sexuality and Nutrition 10: Discoveries and Concepts in Nutrition.

— Claire Maldarelli