Best Place to take Family

1. Davis Farmers Market

2. UC Davis Arboretum

3. Picnic Day

There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked bread and pastries on a Saturday morning to convince visiting family members that Davis is indeed the perfect little town. And as voted by the Davis community, the Davis Farmers Market is the number one pick for the best place to take family for a visit.

Randii MacNear is the current manager for the Davis Farmers Market. MacNear first got involved with the weekly event shortly after graduating from Antioch College in 1975, when he realized the importance of having healthy and fresh alternatives offered at the Davis Food Coop and Farmers Market.

Along with Annie and Jeff Main of Good Humus Produce in the Capay Valley, two of the founding farmers of the market, MacNear joined the team to help manage the market. And 31 years later, MacNear has only seen the market grow bigger and stronger in participation and community bonds between students, community members and local farmers.

“I believe the true magic of the market is that it makes people feel hope and happiness, and centers them as human beings,” MacNear said. “[The Davis Farmers] Market is that place where real food, friends, fresh air, green grass, children playing, neighbors visiting, college students meeting up, lonesome people feeling connected, all come together with our most precious farmers. Everyone and our community has a chance to be healthy and renewed.”

Today, the Davis Farmers Market offers practically everything from organic and fresh produce, gourmet cheeses, local art and crafts, hot and prepared foods and textiles.

The market is located at Central Park, between Fourth and C St., on Saturday mornings from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. On April 4, the market is scheduled to relocate its East Quad markets, which take place Wednesdays from 2 to 6 p.m., to the Silo Union patio.

The UC Davis Arboretum placed second on the list of best place to take family, and Picnic Day placed third.

— Uyen Cao