Best Sandwich

1.   Zia’s Delicatessen
616 Third St.

2.   Nugget Market
1414 E. Covell Blvd.
409 Mace Blvd.

3.   Beach Hut Deli
109 E St.

Turkey, smoked mozzarella and pesto mayonnaise make up the classic Viareggio, served at none other than Zia’s Delicatessen, voted to be home of the best sandwich in Davis.

Owners Kevin and Anne Marie Crilly established Zia’s in 1995 and say that one of the biggest things that sets their eatery apart from others is the fact that they are a truly family-owned and operated restaurant.

“My wife and I are here every day that we are open and we have two of our children working full time,” Kevin said.

This alone, however, would not win the deli the title of best sandwich. Kevin and Anne take the quality of their food very seriously to ensure customer satisfaction.

“We’re concerned about price, but we’re most concerned with taste,” Kevin said. “We would not serve something that we ourselves would not be happy with. We put a great deal of emphasis on the quality of our food.”

Zia’s has a lot of in-house meats, meaning they are prepared at the deli. This type of attention to quality amounts to why the deli’s sandwiches are so unique, especially the Viareggio.

“What makes it special is the pesto that goes in the mayonnaise is made here, so it doesn’t come out of a jar,” Kevin said.

Zia’s has a distinctive “homey” atmosphere, replicating the authenticity of an Italian deli. With the classic Italian decor and music setting the tone, customers can take a step into Italy, if only for a brief moment.

The runner-up for the title of best sandwich goes to Nugget Market, where customers can make their own sandwiches for a quick and easy meal.

Voted third is the Beach Hut Deli, with its unique sandwich names and surfboard tables that make it the ultimate place for students to enjoy a beachy environment, even when they are miles away from any waves.

— Devon Bohart