This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from  April 18 to 24

Baseball (9-24)

UC Davis at St. Mary’s (L,7-6)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (W, 9-6)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (L, 4-6)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (L,11-1)

UC Davis only had two hits in the first innings but was able to get six hits in the ninth to tie the game on April 19. The Aggies were unable to keep the St. Mary’s Gaels from scoring in the bottom of the ninth, allowing them to win the game with a walkoff. Redshirt junior infielder Mason Novak started off the scoring with a pinch-hit RBI in the sixth.

On April 22, redshirt freshman left-handed pitcher Robert Garcia struck out six and only gave up three hits over 6.1 innings.The UC Davis offense was able to get 11 hits off of the Anteaters pitchers, and senior outfielder Cameron Olson had two doubles and finished 3 for 3.

The Aggies rallied to tie the game 3-3 in the fourth inning but could not hold the Anteaters from scoring late in the second game. In the sixth inning, the Anteaters broke the tie with a three run inning. Freshman catcher Logan Denholm was 3-for-3 on the day.

The Aggies fell to the Anteaters and lost the series, falling in the third game 11-1. UC Davis had the lead until the third inning when UC Irvine scored four runs and took the lead from the Aggies for good. UC Davis only had five hits in the game. Redshirt sophomore outfielder Ryan Hooper finished 2-for-3 in the game and hit .500 in the series and had his second multi-hit game of the season.

UC Davis next plays at Nevada on April 26 at 4 p.m.

Men’s Tennis (16-6)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (W, 4-3)

Junior Bryce McKelvie beat UC Irvine’s Justin Agbayani in three sets to help UC Davis get the win 4-3 over the Anteaters. McKelvie and sophomore Tommy Lam won their doubles match 6-2 and improved their record to 16-2 for the season. The Aggies completed a 10-0 run at home this season and has not lost a home match since April 1, 2014.

Read up on a recap of the match, by Nicolette Sarmiento.

The Aggies next play in the Big West Championship on April 27 against a to-be-announced opponent.

Track and Field

Brutus Hamilton Challenge  

Senior jumper Catherine Li won the women’s long jump at Cal while freshman jumper Steven Childs took the win for the men’s long jump. Junior thrower Morgan Dutra came in second with a 151-11 in the discus event.

Freshman jumper Kyle Clancy came first in the men’s high jump while senior pole vaulter Ariel Maroon and junior jumper Holly Tokar tied for second in the women’s pole vault.  UC Davis scored 96.5 to come in third on the women’s side and 64 points to come in fifth on the men’s side.

The Aggies will travel to Sacramento State next on April 29.

Lacrosse (7-7)

UC Davis vs. Fresno State (W, 16-6)

UC Davis at San Diego State (W, 7-6)

UC Davis at USC (L, 14-4)

Senior attacker Sam Axenroth scored a hat trick in the final Aggie home game of the season on April 19. Senior midfielder Courtney Neff and senior attacker Ellie Delich also scored hat tricks and helped lead UC Davis to a win over Fresno State. Delich also had 11 assists on the night.

Check out a recap by Veronica Vargo here.

On April 22, the Aggies won in overtime against San Diego State to secure a spot in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tourney. Senior attacker Ellie Delich and freshman midfielder Shannon Cross each had two goals on the game.

Two days later, UC Davis fell to USC 14-4. Freshman midfielder Shannon Cross scored two goals and had an assist against the Trojans. In the first half, USC outshot UC Davis 17-2 and the Aggies suffered from 25 turnovers. USC only allowed the Aggies one shot on the cage in the first 22 minutes.

UC Davis next plays in the MPSF tourney hosted by Stanford  as the fourth seed on April 28.

Softball

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside ( L, 7-2)

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside ( L, 3-0)

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside ( L, 4-2)

Senior first baseman Kelly Zboralske drove in the first run for UC Davis in the first inning. Zboralske then drove in another run in the third inning. The Aggies were unable to overcome a four run deficit and lost the game.

In the second game, UC Riverside won 3-0 by scoring in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings. Senior infielder Christina Guidry batted 2-for-3. The Aggies also reached base on seven walks but were unable to get their runners to score, leaving eight stranded.

Freshman infielder Meghan Bradbury hit a triple in in the fifth inning of the third game that allowed Zboralske to score. An error on a wild throw to get Bradbury out allowed her to score as well, tying the score 2-2. The Highlanders were then able to score one run in both the sixth and seventh innings, bringing the score to 4-2 and giving UC Riverside the win.

The Aggies next play at Cal on April 26 at 2 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

UC Davis vs. CSUN (L, 4-3)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (5-2)

The Aggies were unable to keep their winning game streak alive as CSUN won 4-3 and stopped their streak at four. Senior Tiffany Pham won her match 6-4 and 6-2 against Kristen Poei. Sophomores Kristy Jorgensen and Jessie Lee also won their single matches to give the Aggies  three points. Both Jorgensen and Lee had wins in the double digits with Lee having 14 on the season and Jorgensen having 10.

Read a recap by sports writer Katie DeVore here.

The following day, the UC Davis women’s tennis team lost to Hawai’i in their last regular season game of the year, 5-2. Jorgensen and sophomore Lani-Rae Green won their doubles match 6-3, while Pham and Lee won their singles matches, going 4-6, 6-1, 7-5, and 4-6, 6-3, 10-3 respectively.

The Aggies next play in Big West Women’s Tennis Championship on April 27 as the seventh seed, against UC Santa Barbara, the second seed of the tournament.

Women’s Golf

Junior Paige Lee shot a 1-under-71 and won the Big West Women’s Golf Championship, helping the Aggies to finish third in the tournament. Lee battled with Kassidy Teare of Long Beach State for the top spot. Shooting a birdie on the 18th hole, Lee was able to remain one stroke ahead of Teare, who was unable to make up the stroke, giving Lee the championship. Senior Andrea Wong finished fifth while senior Betty Chen tied for ninth.

Written by Lindsay Yim – sports@theaggie.org