Thursday, May 2, 2024

Best Japanese Food: Mikuni

ANGELICA DAYANDANATE / AGGIE
ANGELICA DAYANDANATE / AGGIE

With a four-star rating and over 400 reviews on Yelp, it’s no wonder that Mikuni Sushi and Japanese Restaurant was voted Davis’ best Japanese restaurant. Located on First St., Mikuni offers versatile food options, fresh fish and great customer service.

“Everyone at Mikuni is very welcoming and kind,” Mikuni hostess Heidi Wickham said. “The staff is eager to not only help each other, but also each individual customer.”

According to Wickham, one of Mikuni’s most popular rolls is the barbecue tuna with their signature red sauce, which has a spicy, barbecue taste.

“I am obsessed with the barbecue tuna, and I know a bunch of people love that dish. I always get the barbecue tuna with red sauce,” Wickham said. “The rolls are obviously very good! I really like the Marilyn MonRoll.”

Aside from interesting sushi roll choices and an infusion of different sauces with traditional Japanese dishes, Mikuni also offers bentos, donburi and ramen.

The restaurant is also a popular choice when it comes to birthday dinners, as their
“wheel of birthday-fortune” gives birthday goers a chance to win prizes ranging from chopsticks to a Mikuni t-shirt.

The quality service and variety of delicious choices bumps Mikuni to the top spot for Davis Japanese food.

Written by: Jennifer Duong and Betty Wu — features@theaggie.org