Best Thai Restaurant: Thai Canteen

MONICA CHAN / AGGIE
MONICA CHAN / AGGIE

There is no shortage of Thai restaurants in Downtown Davis, but Thai Canteen has captured the title of “Best Thai Restaurant” this year.

Thai Canteen is a student-oriented establishment that serves lunch, dinner and even late-night munchies at an affordable price. Students can easily stop by the restaurant, located on E Street, for a refreshing Thai tea or specialties such as pork belly and duck.

One thing that differentiates Thai Canteen from other Thai restaurants is its convenient design.

“You come in, you order at the counter, we send you off to a table and servers bring food to you,” Thai Canteen manager Peter Sriboonreuang said. “Everything else from there is self-serve [including] water [and] spices.”

Customers can choose from a variety of dishes, ranging from rice plates to noodles and snacks. The prices are reasonably low, and, since the restaurant has received the one dollar sign on Yelp, it has become a college-student staple.

The restaurant is currently partnered with Joy Run, an app that allows students to order food directly on their phone and have it delivered to them by friends or other app users. This partnership saves students a trip downtown and makes ordering even more convenient.

Whether eating out with a big group of friends or sharing a one-on-one meal, Thai Canteen has seating for the occasion. During lunch and dinner hours, the atmosphere is relaxed and social, usually buzzing with conversation.

“Bistro style ordering makes it a convenient place to eat with a group of friends,” said Kelly Wang, a second-year biology major.

Written by: Julia Wu and Veronica Vargo — features@theaggie.org