Best tacos: Taqueria Guadalajara

Taqueria Guadalajara manager explains that students love the fresh, authentic food and homey atmosphere

Taqueria Guadalajara has won the title for Best Tacos in Davis for the second year in a row, receiving 65.4% of the vote this year. Nicknamed Guad’s, the restaurant has a wide variety of fresh and authentic eats and is a favorite of students and locals alike with a total of three locations in Davis and Woodland.

Alyssya Vargas, a third-year psychology major, first heard about Taqueria Guadalajara during her second year, and said she became a fan after her first visit. 

“My housemates would hype it up, and I had to try it,” Vargas said. “After I first tried it, I fully rejected any other taco place. My favorite order is an asada burrito or asada tacos.” 

Taqueria Guadalajara Manager Rigo Hernandez said that the reason for its popularity is its tireless commitment to freshness and quality. 

“We strive to bring a good product and just fresh, good, quality food,” Hernandez said. “We might take a bit longer, but that is because each order that comes in we make fresh. None of our sauces are canned.” 

However, it’s not just the good food and fresh ingredients that keep customers coming back. Its homey atmosphere and welcoming environment also give Taqueria Guadalajara a distinct charm, according to Hernandez. 

“We’re a family-owned business, so coming here gives [our customers] the feeling of home,” Hernandez said. “We greet them as if they were a friend, cousin or uncle. The food we make here is the way mom made it.” 

In addition to being a go-to location for quality Mexican cuisine, Hernandez explained that Guad’s has been a fixture in the community as well. 

“We’ve been here since 1999, and we try our best to help out in the community,” Hernendez said. “We support the college students, and we’re always open to fundraisers.” 

Hernandez thanked students and community members for their support and said that the Taqueria plans to open a fourth location aimed at students on the go. 

“Thank you very much for showing us the support; we plan on being here for as long as we can for students and the community,” Hernandez said. “We’re opening up another location on 3rd and U—it’s only a block from campus, and we plan to have online ordering for busy students.” 

A copy of the full menu and more information about locations can be found on their website. Hernandez recommends the burritos. Written by: Yan Yan Hustis Hayes — features@theaggie.org