This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from Feb.15 to 21

Women’s Water Polo (10-5)

UC Davis vs. CSU Bakersfield (W, 13-7)

UC Davis vs. Brown (W, 12-3)

UC Davis vs. Stanford (L, 14-5)

Junior utility Bryn Lutz scored four goals in the home opener against CSU Bakersfield. Senior center Allyson Hansen and junior center Carla Tocchini each added two goals in the win. Junior goalkeeper Olivia Husted added nine saves to the game to help the Aggies gain the victory.

UC Davis scored five unanswered goals in the match against Brown. Junior utility Hannah Harvey and Tocchini both scored three goals. Senior goalkeeper Haley Cameron made eight of the nine saves to keep the Bears off the board. Check out a recap from sports reporter Aaron Sellers here.

The Aggies fell short in an attempt to upset the Stanford Cardinal, losing 14-5. Veronica Vargo covered the game, and her recap can be found here.

The women’s water polo team next plays in Irvine at the UC Irvine Invitational on Feb. 27 and 28.

Women’s Tennis (4-6)

UC Davis vs. CSU Fullerton (L, 4-3)

UC Davis vs. Sacramento State (L ,4 -3)

UC Davis fought to make a comeback against CSU Fullerton but the Titans squeaked past the Aggies with a 4-3 win. UC Davis tied the score at 2-2 after sophomores Jessie Lee and Lani-Rae Green won their sets, but weren’t able to gain much more traction.

Sacramento State rallied past UC Davis with a win despite Lee winning both her matches. Freshman Isabella von Ebbe won her match and improved her undefeated record to 5-0.  For the full story by Julia Wu, click here.

UC Davis travels to San Jose State on Saturday, Feb. 27, for an 11 a.m. match.

Swimming and Diving

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship (1st place)

Freshman Solie Laughlin earned two Mountain Pacific Sports Federation titles in the 100-yard Backstroke and the 400-yard Individual Medley. The Aggies won their fourth MPSF Championship in six years with 735 points beating out Hawai’i, who had 673. The UC Davis diving team competes next on March 7 in Colorado at the NCAA Zone E Diving Championships. For a full recap of the Championship meet, check out Iman Farahani’s story here.

Softball (3-6)

DeMarni Desert Classic

UC Davis vs. Nevada (L, 8-7)

UC Davis vs. UNLV (L, 3-2)

UC Davis vs. Oregon State (L,11-2)

UC Davis vs. Utah (L, 11-0)

The Aggies fought hard against Nevada but fell despite a three run home run by freshman infielder Meghan Bradbury that tied the game in the third inning, followed by a one run hit to give the Aggies the lead in the fifth. The Wolf Pack then tied the game before taking the lead and game in the 8th inning.

UC Davis was able to score first against UN Las Vegas and kept the lead throughout the third inning. UNLV scored on a double along with an error to tie the game 1-1. In the sixth inning, the Rebels scored twice on three singles taking the lead and game from the Aggies.

The Aggies played Utah and were defeated 11-0 in five innings. Utah scored four runs in the first inning, followed by another three and then four more in the fourth inning causing the game to end early.

UC Davis played Oregon State and, despite starting a comeback, lost the game 11-2. The Aggies tried to continue their momentum but Oregon State hit another three runs to bring the score to its final margin.

The softball team will kick off the Aggie Invitational on Thursday, Feb. 25, against Iowa State at 2:30 p.m.

Lacrosse (1-1)

UC Davis at Bryant (W 12-7)

UC Davis at Temple (L, 17-4)

The Aggies opened their season with a win over Bryant. Senior midfielder Courtney Neff and senior attacker Ellie Delich recorded hat tricks in the win. UC Davis outshot Bryant 23-19 and had 19 of those shots on the goal.

UC Davis fell to the Owls 17-4. Delich led the Aggies offensively with a goal and an assist, but Temple outshot UC Davis 31-9 and had less turnovers, 12 to UC Davis’ 17.

UC Davis plays Furman at Fresno State on March 6.

Gymnastics

Southern Utah with Michigan (third place finish, 194.025)

UC Davis came in third place with a score of 194.025. Senior Stephanie Stamates scored a 9.900 on her floor routine and junior Katy Nogaki scored a 9.875 to win part of the individual beam title.

UC Davis returns home at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 28 to face Alaska Anchorage in their Alumnae game.

Women’s Basketball (15-11)

UC Davis at Hawai’i (L, 70-50)

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside (L, 90-76)

UC Davis fell to Hawai’i 70-50 breaking the three game winning streak the Aggies were on. Redshirt freshman guard Morgan Bertsch scored a team high 22 points and had her seventh 20-point game of the season. UC Davis shot 40 percent from the field.

Bertsch had her second straight 20 plus point game with 21 against UC Riverside. UC Riverside made a comeback to win the game and cause the Aggies to fall to 15-12 for the season.

Read a recap by George McConnell here.

The Aggies will face CSUN at home on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 3 p.m.

Men’s Basketball (10-16)

UC Davis at Cal Poly (L, 58-53)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara ( L, 62-55)

Junior guard Brynton Lemar earned his first double double in the loss against UC Santa Barbara with 17 points and 11 points. UC Davis shot 38 percent from the field and held the Gauchos to 33 percent shooting but were unable to keep the turnovers down, leading to Santa Barbara scoring 24 points on them. The Gauchos won, though the Aggies defense kept the scoring to a minimum.

UC Davis hosts UC Irvine on Feb. 27 at 9 p.m. in a televised game on ESPN.

Baseball (1-3)

UC Davis vs. Portland (L, 12-0, L, 9-6, L, 7-4, W, 4-3)

The UC Davis baseball team faced Portland for four straight home games, avoiding the sweep by defeating them in a close final Sunday game. Throughout the weekend, the Aggies improved against the Pilots, losing their first game 12-0, but closing the distance in scoring over the following games. Their determination paid off in the end with a 4-3 win to finish off of the weekend.

Written by Lindsay Yim – sports@theaggie.org