Doors swing open for Westlake IGA Market

When the ribbon was cut and the speeches given, the Westlake IGA Market finally opened its doors for business.

The market welcomed the public on Friday, Jan. 15 with a ceremonial ribbon cutting at 9 a.m. The DeLano owners and Davis Mayer Ruth Asmundson were on site while customers anxiously entered the store and began filling their shopping carts with items.

“As it got closer to opening we realized how excited the community was for a grocer to open in West Davis, and that made it that much more exciting for us,” said Denice Harrington, store manager and daughter of grocery chain founder Harley DeLano.

In the early morning, senior citizens shopped the aisles, while nearby residents came around the lunch hour. College students and schoolchildren entered the market later in the afternoon ready to explore the new store.

“I think the market is really nice and clean and easily organized,” said sophomore chemistry major Katie Gronotte. “Living down the street made it really convenient for me to shop and get the few items that I needed, without having to drive all the way to Safeway.”

The West Davis store is located at 1260 Lake Blvd. in the Westlake Plaza. The market offers students a 5 percent discount daily with proof of their ID card and senior citizens a 5 percent discount once a week.

SAMANTHA BOSIO can be reached at city@theaggie.org.