Track and field preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara

Where: Harder Stadium- Santa Barbara

When: Saturday at 9 a.m.

Who to watch: Sophomore sprinter Ugo Eke opened the outdoor season Mar. 1 with authority, winning the 200- and 400- meter dashes at the All-Cal Challenge Cup in Irvine. She also ran a leg in each of the Aggies’ winning 4×400 and 4×1600 relay teams.

For her efforts, the Gold River native earned Big West Conference Women’s Track Athlete of the Week honors.

Did you know: UC Davis has a track record of defeating Stanford, and history repeated itself last week.

The Aggie women finished second out of four teams on Mar. 8 with 61 points at their home meet. Finishing at third? None other than the Cardinal with 43 points.

Preview: Without any qualifiers for this weekend’s NCAA Division I Indoor Championships, UC Davis can shift all its focus to the outdoor season when it travels to UC Santa Barbara Saturday.

The Gauchos just completed the Soka University Peace Classic, where seniors Matt Barkley and Jeff Stewart earned two NCAA regional qualifying marks in the men’s shot put.

The Aggies, meanwhile, are coming off their first home meet of the season against Fresno State, Stanford and San Francisco. The women placed first in seven wins while the men took six.

Our whole goal was to be competitive, said men’s head coach Jon Vochatzer. In all the events that I looked and watched, everyone who had a chance to compete did a great job. And that’s what makes me so proud about our team this year.

Among the Aggies’ standouts, senior Jade Myles won the triple and long jumps, while freshman Ray Green took first and second, respectively, in those events.

Following this weekend’s meet, the Aggies will take a two-week hiatus before returning to action Mar. 28 at the Cal-Nevada State Championships in Fresno, Calif