Women’s lacrosse preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. No. 20 Denver; St. Mary’s

Records: Aggies, 5-9 (0-3); Pioneers, 8-5 (1-0); Gaels, 2-12 (0-3)

Where: Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium – Denver, Colo.; Aggie Stadium

When: Today at 1 p.m.; Sunday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: With six goals in the team’s last two road contests, senior midfielder Katie McGovern has 103 career goals. She needs just two more to move up to third on the Aggies’ all-time scoring list.

The San Francisco native is second on the squad with 32 goals, third on the team with six assists, first in draw controls with 35, and she also has three game-winning scores.

Did you know? Sunday’s contest against St. Mary’s will mark the final home game for seven seniors: McGovern, Katie McMahon, Hilary Harkins, Tarryn Furr, Ranessa Santos, Melissa Mahoney and Megan Miller.

Preview: Conference play can’t get much worse for St. Mary’s. In its first three Mountain Pacific Sports Federation contests, it has been outscored by a combined 55-8 margin.

UC Davis will look to continue that trend on Sunday when it bids farewell to its senior class, but first it will travel to Colorado to face another MPSF rival in Denver.

The Pioneers are coming off of a 13-9 victory over George Washington. Junior attacker Megan Carver led the team with four goals and two assists in the victory over the Colonials.

On the season, Denver is spearheaded offensively by a pair of sophomores.

Ali Flury, the defending MPSF Freshman of the Year, is second in the conference behind McMahon with 2.77 goals per game. Steph Coyne, meanwhile, is third in the nation with 38 assists to go with her 23 goals.

On Sunday, UC Davis will be facing St. Mary’s for the first time since the MPSF Championships last season. With Harkins out with a knee injury, Santos served as the team’s emergency goalie, helping guide the Aggies to a 12-10 win.

This time around, it will be Harkins between the pipes. The last time she faced the Gaels, she stopped 11 of 16 shots on Apr. 1, 2006 in a 20-5 victory. It was the first game ever played in Aggie Stadium.

Appropriately, Sunday will be the seniors’ last at the facility.