UC Davis captures first conference win

It was a pair of seniors that led the UC Davis women’s lacrosse team through its season, and Senior Day was no different.

Midfielders Katie McGovern and Katie McMahon closed out their regular season careers with three goals each to lead UC Davis over St. Mary’s for its first Mountain Pacific Sports Federation win, 14-13.

“They have made great contributions for four years,” said head coach Elaine Jones. “I am happy for both of them for closing out the regular season with a win.”

“They are our leaders and they really command respect,” said senior goalie Hilary Harkins. “On the field they are complete leaders.”

Before the contest, all seven of the team’s seniors – Harkins, McMahon, McGovern, Megan Miller, Melissa Mahoney, Ranessa Santos and Tarryn Furr – were honored with flowers and posters alongside their parents in an emotional ceremony.

“I think it was hard for all the seniors to compose themselves after the initial presentation and get ready to play the game,” McGovern said. “It was a competitive matchup and we proved to be the better team, so that means the world to me, and I’m sure to [the rest of] our seniors as well.”

A quick 5-1 Aggie scoring run began the game, but the lead quickly evaporated as St. Mary’s took a 7-6 advantage early in the second half with a goal from sophomore attacker Alana Burrough.

But McGovern and sophomore midfielder Molly Lapolla each found the back of the net minutes later to give the Aggies an 8-7 lead.

From that point the contest turned into a ping-pong match, as each team alternated the next 12 goals in the following 25 minutes, giving the Aggies the one-goal victory in what was a game too close for comfort.

“It was scary that it was so close but I am so glad that we pulled through and picked it up in the second half,” McGovern said. “It meant everything to win this last game, especially for the seniors as it was our last chance for a conference win and it was our last home game of the season.”

For the contest, sophomore attacker Olivia Jarem also added three goals while freshman midfielder Jacklyn Taylor scored twice.

Freshman midfielder Christina Corsa scored the game-clinching goal with 4:28 left in the game for her third game-winner of the season. Lapolla and freshman midfielder Gina Hoffmire also added a goal apiece.

On defense, senior Ranessa Santos was a standout with five ground balls, three caused turnovers and a drawn charge.

Between the pipes, senior goalkeeper Harkins had five saves, three caused turnovers and a game-high eight ground balls for the Aggies.

“Hilary played great and has had a great career,” Jones said. “I am pleased to see her do well on Senior Day.”

With the win, UC Davis looks to have clinched the No. 5 spot in the MPSF Quarterfinals scheduled for Apr. 30 where they will face Oregon, the likely No. 4 seed.

The Aggies fell to the Ducks 15-5 on Feb. 10 at Aggie Stadium.

MAX ROSENBLUM can be reached at sports@californiaaggie.com.