Campus judicial review

DMCA violation

A sophomore was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for a second Digital Millennium Copyright Act violation. The student’s previous DMCA violation resulted in the sanction of a name on file. As for the second DMCA violation, the student failed to make an appointment with SJA, and so administrative holds have been placed on her registration.

Plagiarism

A junior and a sophomore were referred to SJA for plagiarizing a programming assignment for an electrical engineering and computer class. Upon meeting with an SJA officer, each student had a different version of events. The two students were lab partners and worked together on the assignment. At a given point, the sophomore gave the assignment to the junior to finish up and turn in. The junior contacted another classmate for help on the assignment, and the classmate sent her his assignment. The junior copied the other student’s code, made minor changes to it and turned it in for credit with both her name and the sophomore’s name on it. The junior’s lab partner claimed that she was not aware of the misconduct and therefore was not found in violation and simply received an administrative notice. The junior agreed to disciplinary probation.

False information

A senior was referred to SJA for providing false information in order to drop a class. The student attended an appointment at the Dean’s Office in the College of Letters & Science and provided a letter from his workplace to support his petition to late drop a class due to an increase in work hours. An administrator at the Dean’s Office checked with the company to confirm the situation and discovered that the student was never an employee for the company. The senior admitted to writing and signing the letter himself. The student agreed to a sanction of deferred separation and completion of a writing assignment.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.