Women’s tennis preview

Women’s tennis preview

What: Cal Nike Invitational

Host: California

Where: Hellman Tennis Complex and Channing Tennis CourtsBerkeley, Calif.

When: Today, Saturday and Sunday; all day

Who to watch: Despite it being her senior year, Randi Schuler will be appearing in her first fall tournament as an Aggie today at the Cal Invitational.

Last year, the first-team all-Big West Conference member did not play in either of the team’s two fall tournaments. In her freshman and sophomore seasons, she was at Purdue.

Did you know? The Cal Nike Invitational is one of the most elite tournaments on the West Coast. As many as eight of the top 26 singles players and eight of the top 44 doubles teams in the country will be in action.

Preview: Junior Desiree Stone and Schuler made a habit last year of winning apart.

This weekend, they can do it together.

Stone and Schuler, UC Davistop two players from last year who have teamed up only once before in doubles, will represent the Aggies in both singles and doubles play at the Cal Nike Invitational.

It will be an opportunity for the two accomplished upperclassmen to face the top players on the West Coast. A strong showing in singles could help Schuler and Stone’s case to be selected for postseason play next spring.

“I think they both have the potential to make the NCAA singles tournament,head coach Bill Maze said.It’s a lofty goal, but they’re both talented enough to where they could possibly do it.

Schuler was the team’s ace last season, going 10-10 at the No. 1 spot. Stone played 12 matches at No. 3, seven at No. 2 and one at No. 1, finishing 14-6.

Long Beach State and Pacific will be the other Big West schools to send players. Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Fresno State, Minnesota, Nevada, Sacramento State, St. Mary’s, San Francisco, Santa Clara and host Cal round out the 14-school field.

Michael Gehlken