Men’s Soccer preview

Teams: No. 7 UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton

Records: Aggies, 11-1-1 (3-0-1); Titans, 3-10-0 (0-0-3)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Today at 3 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior forward Quincy Amarikwa not only received the Big West Conference Player of the Week honors for his three scores against Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara, but he also became the first Aggie ever to be named College Soccer News National Player of the Week.

The Bakersfield, Calif. native leads the nation in goals with 12.

Did you know? The No. 7 ranking that the Aggies acquired this week is the highest national ranking that UC Davis men’s soccer has ever had. In addition, UC Davis jumped to No. 1 in the Far West ranking, leap-frogging California – a team whom the Aggies lost to in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.

Preview: In one of its toughest challenges of the season, UC Davis downed UC Santa Barbara last Saturday in front of over 4,000 screaming Gaucho Locos.

After being on the road for their last two games, the Aggies come home to face Cal State Fullerton for the second time in a week after beating the Titans 1-0 last Wednesday.

Amarikwa’s lone score proved to be enough for the Aggies, who played a man ahead for virtually the entire match and then two men ahead for the final 16 minutes.

Most recently, Cal State Fullerton was defeated 2-0 at home by Cal Poly, getting blanked for the fourth consecutive game.

Sophomore forward Celso Alvarez leads the attack for the Titans. The Los Angeles native has scored four of the team’s nine goals this season.

On the other side of the ball, UC Davis sophomore goalkeeper Ryan McCowan has posted three consecutive shutouts.

Max Rosenblum