Campus Judicial Report

Using unauthorized material during an exam

Two students reported a fellow classmate to Student Judicial Affairs for using unauthorized material during an exam. When questioned by a SJA officer, the classmate admitted to using his notes, but claimed he was simply using them to check the spelling of some words. Because this was not the student’s first offense, the student agreed to delayed graduation, deferred dismissal and community service. Deferred dismissal means that if the student is again found in violation of any kind of academic misconduct, he would likely be dismissed from the university.

Providing false information

A student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for providing false information for academic reasons. The student had attempted to drop a class after the deadline by forging a letter from his employer stating that the student had increased his work hours and the additional work hours were affecting the student’s schoolwork. After some investigation, the student admitted to writing the letter himself. The student agreed to disciplinary probation until graduation.

Another case of providing false information

A professor referred a student to SJA because the student had managed to add the professor’s class despite the fact that the class was full, registration for the class had closed, and the student had not come to any classes and was not on the waiting list. The concern was that the student must have forged the instructor’s signature on the PTA form or he could not have added the course. The student claimed he was trying to register for another class and was somehow enrolled in the wrong class. Although there are some questions as to how this could have occurred, the university decided not to pursue the matter and the student was given an Administrative Notice. An Administrative Notice is a formal notice of specific university policies and is not a formal sanction.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.