Women’s volleyball preview

Who: UC Davis vs. Pacific

Records: Aggies, 12-16 (4-11); Tigers, 10-15 (9-6)

Where: The Pavilion

When: Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: Junior libero Avreeta Singh needs only 37 digs tonight to break the UC Davis record in that category.

Last weekend, the Fresno, Calif. native pushed her career total to 1,409, passing up Candy Lench at 1,395 (1989-92) and moving her in sight of the leader, Mary McClelland, who had 1,446 (2001-04).

Did you know? Tonight will be the last match for UC Davis seniors Renee Ibekwe, Chantal Paschetta, Michelle Nelson and Erin Turner.

“I’m excited to celebrate the accomplishments of our seniors,” head coach Jamie Holmes said. “Renee, Michelle and Chantal have been through the program for four years, and Erin for two. They’ve gone through some good times and bad times.

“It’s something to be celebrated that they’ve stuck with it. I want them to have a good Senior Night. I want them to reflect on their experiences as Aggies with a lot of pride.”

Preview: In a season of ups and downs, the UC Davis women’s volleyball team will play one final match tonight against Pacific.

“We’ll go out there and give it our all,” Holmes said. “Hopefully, that equals a ‘W’ but more importantly, I hope it equals playing to our potential. I want to play a mature match at the top of our ability level.”

The last time these two teams met, the Tigers knocked off the Aggies 3-1 in the opening match of the Big West Conference season on Sept. 9 at the Spanos Center.

But the Aggies have come along way in those two months.

Their 4-10 record versus Big West opponents since the loss to Pacific may not seem indicative of positive change, but the Aggies were just 1-15 in Big West play and 4-24 overall a season ago.

“Playing against Pacific at home on an Aggie Pack night and for Senior Night is momentum in itself,” Holmes said. “There is a definite difference in our team when we play in an environment that has some atmosphere versus an environment that’s dead.”

Matt Miller