Renovations and grand openings abound among Davis businesses

Downtown Davis businesses are feeling an itch for expansions, renovations and grand openings.

Recently, multiple businesses have either opened or renovated their locations. The restaurant industry in downtown Davis has become particularly affluent.

Here is a preview of some changes you can expect to see downtown:

KetMoRee (238 G St.)

2K Thai Food is moving its location on F Street to the corner of G and Third streets, formerly occupied by Strelitzia Flower Company.

The [location] that we have right now is a little small,said Nate Yungvanitsait, manager at 2K Thai Food.We are getting pretty good business, so we want to expand to a bigger place.

The staff hopes that with a bigger location, customers will have to wait for less time during peak restaurant hours.

The new location will change its name to KetMoRee, and will include a bar/lounge area, creating a nice place for customers to sit while waiting for a table, Yungvanitsait said.

The bar will also have later hours than the restaurant to create the potential for a more active nightlife, he added. While the atmosphere will be new, the food will remain the same.

While the owners are keeping the space that 2K Thai Food currently occupies, they declined to disclose what they will do with it.

Barista Brew (431 G St.)

Barista Brew is a new café that recently opened in Davis. Located on the corner of G and Fifth Streets, it is a business that caters to students and local businesspeople in the area.

Since Barista Brew’s opening on Jan. 5, their customer flow has been picking up, said owner Paul Pannu.

The café gets a lot of business from students as well as people who work in the [United States Department of Agriculture] building across the street depending on the time of day, Pannu said.

During the evening, we see more of the younger crowd,he said.We also have free Wi-Fi, which is appealing to students

Pannu, a UC Davis graduate student, is always trying to determine what the community wants and needs.

“I think they are looking for a place like [Barista Brew],he said. “I think we offer something a little different.

Barista Brew offers not only coffee but also breakfast burritos, frozen yogurt and lunch paninis, Pannu said.

Davis Creamery/Cupcake Cravings (2129 Cowell Blvd.)

Davis Creamery is no stranger to Davis, but they have now reopened their doors after two months of closing for renovations.

The ice cream parlor has also brought in a partner company, Cupcake Cravings, said Hannah Jermstad, manager of Davis Creamery/Cupcake Cravings.

Our ice cream is homemade, and our cupcakes are delivered fresh daily,Jermstad said.

A Sacramento-based company, products from Cupcake Cravings for the Davis location come straight from their main bakery in Sacramento, she said.

All of the base ingredients of the ice cream at the Davis Creamery are organic, Jermstad added. The creamery also has two flavors that are 100 percent organic.

Right now, the creamery receives a good mix of families and the student population, she said.

We are trying to reach out more to the student population,Jermstad added.

After their grand opening last weekend, Davis Creamery/Cupcake Craving staff hopes that their unique combination of businesses attracts a bigger crowd, Jermstad said.

We are the only business in Davis that has cupcakes like we do,she said.All cupcakes are hand-made and hand decorated.

Mountain Mike’s Pizza (4615 Cowell Blvd.)

Mountain Mike’s Pizza in the El Macero Shopping Center on Cowell Blvd. has reopened under new management.

Mountain Mike’s has now been open for about two weeks, and people are starting to realize that they have reopened, owner Jim Haines said.

We have been closed for about a year, and [Mountain Mike’s] previously wasn’t being run too well,Haines said.We have been getting compliments from people coming in that the place looks much better.

Although being located further from campus makes reaching out to students more difficult, Mountain Mike’s would like to appeal more to the college student population, Haines said.

We would like to do a college night,he said.We want to appeal to the college student budget.

Mountain Mike’s currently offers a deal of pizzas at 50 percent off on Sundays, Haines added. Staff and management encourage Davis students and residents to check out their newly renovated restaurant.

CAITLIN COBB can be reached at city@theaggie.org.