Aggies go 1-2 on East Coast road trip

The UC Davis women’s lacrosse team spent its spring break on the eastern seaboard, battling three teams in four days.

On Monday, the Aggies squared off in upstate New York against the Siena Saints, losing a 12-10 seesaw game. UC Davis then headed south to face Manhattan, dropping another close contest, 14-10.

Finally, the Aggies wrapped up their first of back-to-back East Coast roadies with a 9-7 win over the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils.

Mar. 23Siena 12, UC Davis 10

With finals in the books, the Aggies headed east to Loudonville, N.Y. to take on Siena.

After being down 7-5 at intermission, UC Davis played up to the Saints in the second half, as each team scored five times in the second session.

The Aggies pulled ahead with a 4-0 run from the 40th to 49th minute, but Siena responded with the game’s final three goals to seal the two-point victory.

During that 4-0 run, all four of the Aggie scorers on the day found the back of the net. Patrice Clark led UC Davis with three goals, while Christina Corsa, Britt Farquharson and Jacklyn Taylor scored two goals a piece. Molly Lapolla led the Aggies with three assists.

TuesdayManhattan 14, UC Davis 10

UC Davis left upstate New York for the Bronx to take on the Manhattan College Jaspers. The game was played in Gaelic Park, which is normally home to hurling and Gaelic football.

The Aggies were lead by Clark, Corsa, Farquharson and Taylor, who all scored twice. Lapolla again led in assists with four to go along with her one goal. Sophomore Gina Hoffmire added a goal to round out the Aggie scoring.

ThursdayUC Davis 9, Central Connecticut St. 7

The Aggies finished spring break on a high note, beating Central Connecticut State 9-7 in New Britain, Conn.

In a game very similar to Monday’s loss at Siena, it was the Aggies who led by two at the half. The teams played at even strength in the second to preserve the two-goal win for UC Davis.

UC Davisscoring was more concentrated this time out, as only three Aggies found the back of the net. Farquharson had four goals, Clark tallied her fourth hat-trick in the season and Taylor had two goals on the day.

The Blue Devilsseven goals were scored by seven different players. Sophomore Alyssa Cranska tended the net for the Aggies, stopping 10 Blue Devil shots.

I feel encouraged,coach Elaine Jones said.I’m pleased with our overall effort. I think we’ve made great progress.

The Aggies are next in action on Saturday at Villanova before heading to the nation’s capital to take on Howard a week from today.

JOHN S. HELLER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.