Women’s rowing preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State

When: Saturday; time TBA

Where: Sacramento Aquatics CenterLake Natoma

Did you know? In crew you cancatch crabs” – no, not the kind you eat.

If the blade of your oar fails to enter the water at the proper angle, then it runs the risk of being sucked under the hull of the boat, and has potential to launch the rower out of it.

Preview: The Aggies will be looking to win their third straight Jean Runyon Cup on Saturday against the women of Sacramento State.

UC Davis is fresh off of a practice scrimmage with No. 3 California, and is looking to take on the Hornets in Sacramento at their home course.

Lake Natoma is not only home to the Sac State women, but is also home to a world-renowned aquatics facility which is ranked as one of the top 10 places to row in the world.

The Hornets are coming hot off a spectacular weekend for collegiate women’s rowing, as they placed seventh in the Lake Natomas Invite. The Hornets held company with Cal, No. 2 Stanford, No. 16 Wisconsin and No. 19 UCLA. They defeated Texas and Florida in the process.

Sacramento State also competed in the San Diego Crew Classic two weeks ago, where they took home the silver in the Cal Cup Grand Final with a time of 7:14.0. The Aggies also competed in the Crew Classic, posted a time of 7:12.6 to round out a fifth place in the Jessop-Whittier Petite Final finish.

The Jean Runyon Duel originated in 1997 between UC Davis and Sac State, and was dominated by the Hornets for nine consecutive seasons before the Aggies won the past two.

Last season, the Aggies took four of five events, winning the varsity eight event, second varsity eight, novice eight and the novice four.

The UC Davisvarsity eight won last season with a time of 6:55, defeating Sac State by an 11-second marginjust over three lengths of open water.

Andrea Gutierrez