Men’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton

Records: Aggies 4-7 (1-1); Titans 4-5-1 (0-1)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Sunday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: UC Davis keeper Ryan McCowan has played particularly well of late.

A junior out of Acalanes High School in Lafayette, Calif., McCowan is in his second full season as the Aggiesstarting keeper.

In the seven-game stretch since losses at San Jose State and UCLA, McCowan and the UC Davis defense have allowed no more than two goals to any opponent.

So far on the season, McCowan’s 35 saves and 17 goals allowed give him a save percentage of just over 67 percent.

He has started all of the Aggiesgames, accumulating over 984 game minutes as of Tuesday.

Did you know: Both teams played Big West conference games yesterday, so both of their records will be different come Sunday’s matinee match up.

UC Davis faced UC Riverside in an afternoon match at Aggie Stadium while Cal State Fullerton took on Cal State Northridge at their home field, the state of the art Titan Stadium.

Preview: Last year the Aggies took one from the Titans in Fullerton, but the Titans responded by working a 2-2 draw at Aggie Stadium later in the season.

Last year the Aggies came into the match with a definitively better record, and a ten-game undefeated streak.

Things are different this year for the still young, but evermore seasoned Aggies as the Titans come in to Davis with the better overall record.

“Every team in the Big West is so good that its just one game to the next,said coach Dwayne Shaffer.You never know.

“The thing that I’m concentrating on is our team. We’re getting better every game and gaining experience that’s much needed.

The Aggies will wrap up their three-game home stand on Wednesday when they take on a traditionally exceptional UC Santa Barbara squad at 3 p.m.

John S. Heller