Women’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Cal Poly; vs. Pacific

Records: Aggies, 6-5-1 (1-2); Mustangs, 9-5 (3-1); Tigers, 8-4-2 (2-1)

Where: Alex G. Spanos Stadium; Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Thursday at 7 p.m.; Sunday at noon

Who to watch: Goalkeeper junior Sarah Peters has been a solid presence in the net for the Aggies this season.

The Petaluma, Calif. native has started each of the team’s 12 games in 2009, logging over 1,000 minutes of play. She has a total of 40 saves, a goal against average of 1.15 and has posted one shut out on the season.

Peters was also selected to the All-Big West Conference Second Team in 2008.

Did you know? After beating Cal State Fullerton on Sunday, Cal Poly improved to 3-1 in Big West Conference play and moved into a tie for first in the league.

Preview: UC Davis will conclude the first half of its conference season as it travels to San Luis Obispo on Thursday to play first-place Cal Poly.

Alex G. Spanos Stadium has proved to be a tough place to play as of late as the Mustangs have won their last four matches at home.

The Aggies did win the matchup between the two squads last season as senior Marisa Boge scored the lone goal to give UC Davis a win on its Senior Day.

This marked the very first time that the Aggies beat the Mustangs since entering the Big West.

To kick off the second half of the Big West schedule, UC Davis will return to Aggie Soccer Stadium for Sunday afternoon’s match against Pacific.

The Tigers are recently coming off a 1-0 loss to UC Irvine on Sunday.

The Aggies last beat the Tigers in 2006 by a 1-0 margin in overtime.

Current seniors Boge, Britnee Warmerdam and Jordan Martin played in that match.

Senior Rochelle VanBuskirk leads a UC Davis offense that is currently tops in the conference in goals per game (2.17).

The Pleasant Hill, Calif. native is top in the league with 12 goals and is two shy of tying the Aggies’ single season record.

With those numbers, VanBuskirk’s one goal per game average puts her at sixth in the nation.

– Grace Sprague