Men’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC Irvine

Records: Aggies 5-10-0 (2-4-0); Anteaters 9-4-0 (3-2-0)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Saturday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: Captain Paul Marcoux is not only the team leader in terms of presence but also position.

The senior from Mountain View, Calif. leads UC Davis in points (12), goals (five), and shots (22). Two of Marcoux’s goals have come in game-winning fashion.

Come Saturday, Marcoux will look to steer his team toward its second victory over UC Irvine this season.

Did you know? The Aggies have had trouble finding the back of the net this season, only averaging just over one goal per contest.

After beginning the season with two three-goal performances at the UNLV Nike Invitational, the Aggies haven’t scored more than twice in a game since.

They have been shut out in their past two matches and five times total on the season.

Preview: Saturday’s 1 p.m. kickoff will be the second time that UC Davis and UC Irvine have faced off this season.

On Oct. 4, the Aggies traveled to take on the Anteaters, winning 2-1 in double overtime. The dramatic win was capped by a Marcoux golden goal, stunning the Irvine faithful at Anteater Stadium.

Since that win, the Aggies have been struggling, winning only once in the five matches since then.

Meanwhile , UC Irvine has responded with an impressive three-game winning streak of its own.

UC Davis will look to end UC Irvine’s win streak at three when the two teams kickoff at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

The Aggies are looking for a positive result in their second-to-last home match of the season as they try to stay in the Big West Conference Tournament picture.

-John S. Heller