Women’s Volleyball Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Long Beach State; at Cal State Fullerton

Records: Aggies 12-4 (4-0); 49ers 11-5 (1-2); Titans 13-4, (2-1)

Where: The Walter Pyramid – Long Beach, Calif.; Titan Gym – Fullerton, Calif.

When: Friday at 7 pm; Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: Nearly everyone on the Aggies has contributed to the cause this year – and Allison Whitson is no exception.

The Palo Alto, Calif. native led UC Davis in kills in both of its victories last weekend over Cal State Northridge and UC Irvine. She also set a career high in aces and digs in the win over Cal State Northridge.

Did you know? One of the many goals for the Aggies this season was to improve their overall Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). It’s safe to say UC Davis has done just that.

The Aggies are ranked 63 in the nation in RPI, an all-time high for UC Davis volleyball.

Preview: The Aggies are currently riding a seven game win streak and have won their first four Big West Conference league games.

But they’re not booking their tickets for the postseason at all.

UC Davis has confidence in its ability over the past couple weeks, but coach Jamie Holmes is ensuring they’re not over-confident.

“I’m not worried about us being over-confident at all,” Holmes said. “We talk about being humble, respecting opponents and working hard.”

The Aggies will have to work hard this weekend as they have a tough weekend ahead of them. UC Davis matches up against Long Beach State, the reigning Big West champions and Cal State Fullerton, another difficult challenge.

“We’ll be watching a lot of tape on Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State before the games,” Holmes said.

UC Davis will be defending first place against the Matadors and 49ers this weekend, something Holmes is looking forward to.

“It feels fantastic to be in first place,” Holmes said. “There have been a lot of upsets so far in conference play, which really speaks to the competitiveness of the conference.”

While Holmes is excited to be in first place, she also understands there is a lot of parity in the conference that mix up the standings one way or another.

“This conference can turn anyway,” Holmes said. “There is a lot of parity between the teams and there have been a lot of upsets too. We have room to improve and grow still.”

– Jason Alpert