CD review: Chris Brown

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: F.A.M.E.

Label: Jive Records

Rating: 3

The title of Chris Brown’s new album F.A.M.E. is an ironic twist from Brown’s last few years in the spotlight. Instead of being noticed for the music and dance moves that had critics calling him the next Usher, Brown’s media antics after his arrest for beating up then-girlfriend Rihanna have dimmed the spotlight that once lit up this talented artist.

Whether fans will be able to separate Brown the person from Brown the musician while listening to his album will be completely up to personal taste, but Brown does make it a bit easier on certain tracks. Switching from his usual soft-spoken dance R&B sound and singing with Busta Rhymes and Lil’ Wayne on “Look At Me Now,” Brown proves he can handle hip hop in a track that’s brought one of the most unique beats to the radio in ages. Brown is able to bring that same uniqueness when he makes a complete 180 in the dance track “Beautiful People,” featuring famed electronic producer Benny Benassi.

But for every great standout track, most of which also feature a great guest performer, there are a number of throw-aways. Brown’s efforts at ballads are forgettable, and some of his dance tracks feel like replicas of songs Usher did last summer.

With F.A.M.E., Brown proves that he still has the musical talent that made him famous so many years ago. The main question is, are you willing to listen?

Give these tracks a listen: “Look At Me Now,” “Beautiful People,” “Deuces” (feat Tyga and Kevin McCall)

For fans of: Usher, Trey Songz, Ne-yo

– Anneta Konstantinides