Aggie Daily Calendar

TODAY
Biomedical Engineering Distinguished Speaker Seminar

4 p.m.

Genome and Biomedical Sciences Auditorium

Dr. Banu Onaral of Drexel University will speak about translational research in optical brain imaging.

La Lucha Del Immigrante

4 to 6 p.m.

Memorial Union, MUII

Learn the struggles and issues that undocumented students face every day and how this affects their families and communities.

Queer Latinidad

6 to 9 p.m.

ARC Ballroom

Self-identified Queer Indigenas/os y Xicana/os will be reading poetry, performing spoken word and much more. The night will be a collection of professional and student performances that will scream “Soy jota/o, ¿y que?”

American Red Cross Club Meeting

6:10 to 7:30 p.m.

118 Olson

Volunteer with the ARCC in its many humanitarian activities around UC Davis and Yolo County.

Botany and Environmental Horticulture Club Meeting

6:30 to 8 p.m.

3090 Sciences Laboratory Building

Professor Randy Dahlgren will speak about vernal pool wetlands. Enjoy free pizza and a plant raffle.

Davis Shakespeare Ensemble: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

8 p.m.

UC Davis Arboretum Gazebo

This wild lampoon of the Bard’s comedies, histories, and tragedies includes a lightning speed version of Hamlet both forward and backward. For performance times and ticket prices, visit shakespearedavis.com.

Asian American Association Film Festival

8 p.m.

198 Young

British film I Can’t Think Straight explores the clashes between east and west, love and marriage and conventions and individuality, creating a humorous and tender story of unexpected love and unusual freedoms.

FRIDAY

Local Tones 2011: Sing It On

8 p.m.

1100 Social Sciences

A cappella groups The Spokes and Afterglow host this free concert, featuring all campus a capella groups, including the Liquid Hotplates, Lounge Lizards and Jhankaar.

From the Barrio Youth Empowerment Conference

10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

2 Wellman

Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity hosts workshops, guest speakers and discussions about problems affecting youth and how to help them pursue a higher education.

Latin Dance 101

4 to 6 p.m.

Tercero Main Lounge

Learn a specific cultural dance from a Latin American region. This

year’s theme is punta, which will be taught by MOB Legacy along with a nutritional presentation by Danzantes del Alma de UC Davis.

SATURDAY

Cuauhtémoc Run

7 a.m.

Behind Mrak Hall, near Music Building

Participants have the option of running or walking a 5K or 10K race.

La Gran Tardeada

10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

East Quad

This free community event celebrates the Chican@/Latin@ culture and includes entertainment, food, a children’s fair, a health fair and much more

Basketball Club Tournament

1 to 6 p.m.

Activities and Recreation Center Pavilion

Register for the pool/playoff-style tournament at ucdbasketballclub.com. Cost is $5 for current members and $12 for new members. Each team is guaranteed at least three games. Champions receive 2011 spring tournament shirts.

To receive placement in the AGGIE DAILY CALENDAR, e-mail dailycal@theaggie.org or stop by 25 Lower Freeborn by noon the day prior to your event. Due to space constraints, all event descriptions are subject to editing, and priority will be given to events that are free of charge and geared toward the campus community.