Changes are a comin’ to UC Davis

Just when you think the noisy construction project on your walk past the ASUCD Coffee House is finished, UC Davis starts up another on your way to Chemistry 194. Here’s what’s in store for the future at UCD, or as Davis Wiki calls it, Under Construction Daily.

UC Davis’ current and upcoming construction projects include a new

Student Community Center and Segundo Services Center, renovations to the Silo Union and Memorial Union/Bookstore, a new Veterinary Medicine Research Facility and the West Village Community.

Student Community Center (SCC)

Cost: $30 million

Open: Spring 2012

Funded by student fees and the university education fund, the SCC will be located across from Chemistry 194 and Haring Hall. The center will facilitate many student services such as the Cross Cultural Center, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center and the Undergraduate Research Center. It will also include study lounges, computer labs and a community kitchen.

“The SCC will be a place where students discover who they are as individuals, as groups and as a community,” states the UC Davis Student Affairs web site.

Segundo Services Center (SSC) and Segundo Life Safety improvements

Cost: $30 million

Open: Fall 2011

Student housing revenues are paying for the new SSC and for Segundo Life Safety improvements to Malcolm, Ryerson, Bixby and Gilmore halls. The SSC will offer similar services to the Tercero Services Center, with computer and recreation centers, laundry area, service desk and convenience store. The improvements will make the Segundo buildings fire- and earthquake-safe and will add amenity upgrades.

Tercero Phase III

Cost: $80 million

Construction begins: Fall 2012

Open: Fall 2014

Built in 1967, Thille and Pierce Hall, also known as the “lettered” dormitory buildings, will be demolished and replaced with a new residence hall complex that will house 1,200 students.

Silo Union renovation

Cost: $3.5 million

Construction begins: Summer or Fall 2011

Renovations to the Silo, funded by investments from private food services providers and from future revenue, will expand food service operations and increase opportunities for campus community development.

Memorial Union/Bookstore expansion

Cost: $26 million

Construction begins: Fall 2011

Originally built in 1955, the Memorial Union/Bookstore expansion aims to expand the Bookstore’s operations and provide more space for student services for the increased student population. The project will be funded by Memorial Union auxiliary reserves and future revenue.

Veterinary Medicine Research Facility 3B

Cost: $58.5 million

Open: December 2012

The Vet Med 3B will bring students, researchers and clinical faculty into one building. The facility will include laboratories for specialists from food-safety monitoring to environmental pollution to animal and public health issues.

“The location and design of Veterinary Medicine Research Facility 3B

will enhance student education and promote research collaboration and discovery,” said Dr. Bennie Osburn, dean of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, in a prepared statement.

UC Davis West Village Community

Open: Fall 2011

UC Davis West Village, the 200-acre project located on campus between Hutchison Drive and Russell Boulevard, is a public-private partnership between UC Davis and West Village Community Partnership, LLC.

West Village is a community consisting of 663 apartments, 343 single-family homes, recreation center, commercial retail space and the Sacramento City College Davis Center.

By combining extensive use of solar panels, energy-efficient appliances, radiant barrier roof sheathing and added insulation to exterior walls, the community will be the largest zero net energy development in the United States.

“Using aggressive energy efficiency measures and on-site renewable energy generation to meet community energy demand, this holistic approach offers new solutions in the design and construction of large-scale sustainable communities,” said Nolan Zail, senior vice president for Carmel Partners.

GRACE BENEFIELD can be reached at features@theaggie.org.