Campus Judicial Report

Not Theirs to Sell

A student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for alleged misuse of university property after he sold a professor’s course material to Notehall.  However, the material had already been given to the students in the class.  As a result, over 30 students in the class purchased course material they had already received for free from their professor. In his meeting with an SJA officer, the student stated that Notehall seemed like an easy way he could earn some money while still studying for his class. The student agreed to a Censure, which is a formal notice acknowledging that the student violated the university’s policy prohibiting the distribution of course material for commercial purposes. Students are not only prohibited from selling the professor’s course materials but they are also prohibited from selling course content in the form of their notes. The student also agreed to complete 25 hours of community service.

Self-Referral

A student referred himself to SJA for having another person take a midterm for him. The student felt guilty about his actions, so he sent an e-mail to SJA confessing that he had allowed a visiting friend to take the math exam in his place because he was doing poorly in the class. In his meeting with an SJA Officer, the student stated that he had been academically disqualified from the university in the past and was under pressure to pass the class so he would not be disqualified again. The student agreed to be suspended for Spring quarter 2012 and both summer sessions in addition to being placed on Deferred Dismissal status when he returns. This means that if he is referred to SJA again and is found to be in violation, he will likely be dismissed from the university.

One Night, Two Offenses

A student was referred to SJA for underage drinking after he was found on campus by UC Davis police quite inebriated. The student stated that he had attended a party off campus, where he became intoxicated. The student was given the choice by police to be arrested or treated in the hospital and chose to be hospitalized. In his meeting with an SJA Officer, the student acknowledged that he had violated laws against public intoxication and underage drinking as well as UC conduct standards. The student agreed to be placed on Disciplinary Probation and was referred to the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Intervention Services Program.

CAMPUS JUDICIAL REPORTS are compiled by members of Student Judicial Affairs.