Women’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC Irvine; vs. San Jose State

Records: Aggies 7-11 (3-2), Anteaters 13-5 (5-1), Spartans 13-4

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center

When: Saturday at 11 a.m.; Sunday at 1 p.m.

Who to Watch: Junior Lauren Curry has been one of the most reliable players in the Aggies’ lineup this year.

“[Curry] is incredibly consistent and has a great work ethic and attitude,” Coach Bill Maze said.

The Walnut Creek, Calif. native has won three straight matches and has scraped out 10 victories this season in the No. 4 singles slot.

Did you know? It is not uncommon to see players’ parents take on a dual role as coach. But how often do you play against your parent’s team?

Junior Ellie Edles is an Aggie through and through but may have created a house divided when she committed to UC Davis three years ago.

Her father has been the coach of the Anteaters for 15 years, and his alliances will be tested when Edles and the Aggies face off with the Anteaters in Saturday’s match.

Preview: The season is winding down and the matches are beginning to hold more weight for the UC Davis women’s tennis team.

The Aggies are currently in fourth place in the Big West Conference with a 3-2 record. They have three league matches remaining in the regular season and are fighting for a higher seed that will pay off in the conference tournament.

UC Davis’s 7-11 overall record is less than impressive, but only provides potential for a good story, as their performances have been improving with time.

“I’m not worried or concerned because this team works incredibly hard,” Coach Maze said. “It will pay off in the end and I think we’re going to peak at the right time.”

Up ahead, UC Davis will cross paths with UC Irvine, the second-place team in the Big West with a 5-1 conference record. The Anteaters are currently ranked 60th in the nation and will provide a challenge that is by no means an order too tall for the Aggies.The Anteaters knocked UC Davis out of the Big West tournament in the quarterfinals last season. Combine the vengeance the Aggies will be seeking with the urgency of the end of the season, and the result is bound to be an interesting match.

“I think you should always play with a sense of urgency, playing every point like it’s the last point,” Maze said. “Of course, that’s easy to say but hard to do.”

After facing off with UC Irvine, UC Davis will take on San Jose State in a nonconference matchup that will undoubtedly push them to their limits. Back-to-back matches against two very strong teams is the sort of test that could indicate how the Aggies will do come postseason.

Both matches are at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.

Matthew Yuen