Men’s Tennis preview

Event: Big West Conference Championships

Teams: UC Davis vs. University of Pacific

Records: Aggies, 5-15; Tigers, 8-14

Where: Indian Wells Tennis Garden — Indian Wells, Calif.

When:  Friday at 11:00 am

Who to watch: Junior Toki Sherbakov is one of The Aggies’ more thrilling players to watch, as he posted a strong performance against the University of Hawaii at Hilo on Tuesday.

In the Aggies’ victory over the Vulcans, Sherbakov helped secure the doubles point with teammate Josh Albert. He cruised during his No.1 singles match, winning 6-1, 6-3.

Did you know?  The Aggies and the Tigers met in the third match of the season.

Pacific came away with a 6-1 win over UC Davis. The Aggies lost all six singles matches and only one doubles match to the Tigers.

Preview: The Aggies begin their quest to a Big West Championship with a match against the No.4 seeded Tigers.

The Aggies ended the season on a positive note, winning two out of four matches, including a conference victory over UC Riverside. UC Davis secured a No.5 seed in the conference tournament with a 1-4 mark in league matches.

Pacific lost three of its last four matches to close out the season with a 2-3 mark in conference play.

“Pacific is a strong team,” said coach Daryl Lee, “but our top two players, Kyle [Miller] and Toki [Sherbakov], accomplished a lot and hopefully the rest of the team will follow.”

Should the Aggies come away with a victory, they will face No.1 seed Cal Poly on Saturday. As of now, they are focused on adjusting to the blistering heat in Southern California and channeling a season’s worth of hard work and dedication into the first match of the Championship.

— Veena Bansal