Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times are listed according to the clock at the Nov. 15 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend Senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD president, present
Yena Bae, ASUCD vice president, present
Justin Goss, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present
Kabir Kapur, ASUCD senator, present
Jared Crisologo-Smith, ASUCD senator
Bradley Bottoms, ASUCD senator, present
Anni Kimball, ASUCD senator, absent
Paul Min, ASUCD senator, present
Don Gilbert, ASUCD senator, present
Joyce Han, ASUCD senator, absent
Erica Padgett, ASUCD senator, present
Beatriz Anguiano, ASUCD senator, present
Patrick Sheehan, ASUCD senator, present
Carly Sandstrom, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations
Gilbert spoke about the hiring of new coaches and administrators, specifically the hiring of new athletics director Terrance J. Tumey. He addressed concerns about student involvement in the hiring process of these coaches and explained that the Student Assistants to the Chancellor are involved but the process is private to others for the purpose of maintaining confidentiality. This is intended to protect any current positions held by candidates during the hiring process.

Appointments and confirmations
Kate Lin was confirmed as chair of E-Fund (Entrepreneurship Fund), a program that assists students in pursuing entrepreneurship and provides students with financial advice.

Carly Sandstrom was confirmed as ASUCD senator to fill the vacancy at the Senate table for the remainder of the current term, until the new senator-elects are sworn in.

Unit Director Reports
Darin Schluep, interim food service director at the Coffee House (CoHo),
spoke about current progress at the CoHo and CoHo South Cafe, including new dinner options that will be offered and future cooking and baking classes. He also said that ice cream sandwiches and frozen yogurt will arrive at the CoHo soon.

Tessa Artale, director of Campus Center for the Environment (CCE), explained that CCE is assisting in Red Cup Clean Up, a program that encourages students and members of the Greek system to recycle red Solo cups in exchange for two cents per cup for the charity of their choice. CCE has also encouraged sustainability on campus by organizing a farmers market on campus with local products.

Kevin Chuc, vice chair of Picnic Day, explained that the Picnic Day Board of Directors is currently organizing Picnic Day 2013. The theme will be Snapshot.

Karan Singh, Lobby Corps director, explained that the Lobby Corps has been informing students about Proposition 30 and establishing goals during the election season. Singh also said that Lobby Corps is working with California legislators to make UC and public education more affordable and accessible.

Consideration of old legislation
Senate Bill 22, authored by Min, allocates $980.35 to purchase a new printer for the Student Government Administrative Office (SGAO), which is responsible for printing paperwork for the operation of ASUCD. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 23, authored by Goss, renders the ASUCD Chief Justice or a designee an ex-officio member of the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC). According to the bill, this would help in reviewing bills for their constitutionality while they are still at the commission level. It would be too late for the Court to intervene once the bill has reached the Senate floor. Sandstrom said that the Court is supposed to have legislation brought to them and is not normally involved in the process. Goss said that this bill would better inform the Court and form connections that legitimize the Court to preserve the constitutionality of the body. Crisologo-Smith proposed that the Court have all bills introduced to them for constitutionality. ASUCD Controller Melanie Maemura said that a chief justice must consult the Court before offering an opinion on any matter. The table considered a suggestion by Cano, who recommended that instead of a chief justice, a legal clerk would review legislation with IAC before it arrives at the Senate floor. The bill passed with a 7-5-0 vote.

Senate Bill 24, authored by Amy Martin, co-authored by Sheehan, allocates $42,353.75 from Specialized Transportation Services (STS) / Tipsy Taxi reserves to purchase a 2011 Ford 12-passenger van. The bill passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 2, authored by Sheehan, demands greater student involvement and transparency in decisions that concern UC Davis Intercollegiate Athletics (ICA), according to the resolution. This would include quarterly reports from the ICA. Sandstrom questioned passing the resolution, as she believed that it is not a sufficient way to demonstrate a willingness to work with Tumey. The table considered a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which would be more permanent. Goss said that ICA lacks transparency and that there would be no harm in passing the resolution.
The resolution passed 10-1-1.

Public discussion
Sheehan expressed concerns about the fact that Senate Resolution 2 not was not passed unanimously.

Other business
Crisologo-Smith announced his willingness to be elected as senate pro-tempore. He was nominated and was elected by the table to serve as pro-tempore.

Meeting adjourned at 12:46 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. MUNA SADEK compiles the Senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.