Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Aggie Digest

The UC Davis athletics program had a busy weekend full of mixed results.

The men’s tennis team traveled to Portland, Ore. to play in a four-day tournament that started Friday. The team has been successful throughout the weekend and will play against Portland State in Washington to cap off the road trip Monday afternoon.

Led by Kyle Miller, the team began its play against George Fox with a 9-0 sweep on Friday. Miller won his match without losing a game, winning 6-0 and 6-0. Junior Alec Haley, freshman Mitch Thorp and senior George Horowitz all won their matches, which were their first wins of the young season.

On Saturday, the results were not much different, with the Aggies defeating University of Seattle 7-0. It was their third victory of the season and second straight sweep. Toki Sherbakov and Adam Levie won their doubles match 8-1. Freshman Brett Bacharach, Haley and senior Hugo Verdi-Fortin each won in straight sets.

Different events occurred on Sunday, however, as the team lost to the University of Portland 7-0. All seven of the singles matches were lost in straight sets, with the most competitive match involving Portland’s Justin Guay and Bacharach by scores of 6-4 and 7-5.

As of Monday morning, the men’s tennis team holds an even record of 3-3. The team will stay in California for the rest of the month and will travel to the University of San Francisco on Feb. 15, then to Saint Mary’s on Feb. 17.

The women’s tennis team took on Santa Clara University on Sunday and was defeated 4-3. Layla Sanders and Tiffany Pham each won their singles matches in straight sets, as Ellie Edles won two of three. Edles and Pham won their doubles match 8-4. However, the wins were not enough to overcome the losses suffered by their teammates. The loss brought their record down to 1-4 for the season.

The women’s tennis team has struggled to find its stride in the early going. They have lost four straight matches, and most recently to No. 5 Stanford on Jan. 31 by a score of 6-1. They will travel north to Oregon to play against the University of Oregon and the University of Portland on Saturday snd Sunday.

The UC Davis women’s water polo team had a rough weekend at Stanford, losing three matches in as many days. The No. 12 Aggies started play on Friday against No. 14 Indiana and barely lost by a score of 9-8. Jessica Dunn led the Aggies with three goals and five others finished with one. Goalie Riane Woods had a strong performance with 15 saves.

On Saturday, the Aggies lost to No. 8 San Jose State in another close game with a score of 7-6. Kathryn Bailey and Hannah Curran both scored two goals to lead the Aggies and Woods had five saves.

To finish a competitive weekend, the Aggies faced off against No. 1 Stanford and fell 11-2. Paige Oreglia and Hailey Wright had one goal apiece in the final quarter and were held scoreless until then.

The women’s water polo team will play Stanford again on Saturday at home for its next match.

— Luke Bae