Best Chinese Food

Nestled behind Sophia’s Thai Kitchen and The Dumpling House, the winner of the Best Chinese Food is Noodle City, which offers delicious spring rolls, pot stickers, noodle broths and fried rice as a few of their menu items.

“We [have] had a Noodle City for about 11 years, and [the] noodle is very popular in our country. All the college towns have a lot of noodle shop[s], and I get [the] idea [that] I should open [a] noodle shop in Davis, it’s good for [the] students too,” said Linda Liu, owner of Noodle City.

Noodle City’s hours are 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and on Sundays 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Student customer Molly Burke, a third-year English major, is not surprised that Noodle City was voted the best Chinese restaurant in Davis.

“They have very delicious food; I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The menu is comprehensive, the portion sizes are large, and the food is delicious!” Burke said.

The restaurant offers Chinese food for good prices, such as their famous fried green onion bread for $3.99, vegetable dumplings for $5.95 and the wonton noodle soup for $5.95.

Burke considers her favorite dish to be the chicken fried rice.

“The [most] popular dish is beef noodle soup and also noodle salad, because noodle salad [has] no oil with sesame paste [and] has a lot of vegetables,” Liu said.

The Five Spice Beef Noodle Soup, with its five-spice braised beef and fresh veggies in the house-special beef broth, tastes like a sample of homemade culinary perfection. For only $6.95, customers consider it cheap and worth the quality taste.

Even though Noodle City is a sit-down restaurant, the food does not take long to be served to the customers, either.

“The service was fast and I enjoyed the quaint, casual atmosphere,” Burke said.

Fans of great Chinese food can also treat themselves to The Dumpling House, located near Noodle City on E Street. The Dumpling House is also owned by Liu and came in second place. In third place is Hunan, located at 207 D St.

— Alyssa Kuhlman