Arts Week

FILM

Under the Same Moon
Thursday, Oct. 24, 7 p.m., free.
International House, 10 College Park
The International House will be showing Under the Same Moon, a bilingual English-Spanish film, by Patricia Riggen, that complements the book, Enrique’s Journey. The film presents the captivating story of nine-year-old Mexican boy, who decides to embark on a journey across the Mexican border to Los Angeles, in search of his mother. Refreshments will be provided by the International House.

MUSIC
The San Francisco Symphony
Friday, Oct. 18, 8 p.m., $25.
Mondavi Center
The San Francisco Symphony will be performing Berlioz’ Roman Carnival Overture, Schumann’s “Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op.54” and Dvorák’s “Symphony No.7 in D Minor, Op. 70,” under the conduction of Yan Pascal Torteller, with Martin Helmchen on the piano.

Dangermaker
Saturday, Oct. 19, 9 p.m., free.
Wunderbar, 228 G St.
Dangermaker is a rock/alternative/indie band from San Francisco, that has been compared to The Black Keys, Interpol and The Killers. They will be performing songs from their debut album “Black Dream,” for all ages.

The Tenderloins
Saturday, Oct. 19, 11 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 20, 12 p.m., free.
KDVS
The Tenderloins, a rock band from the East Bay, will be performing live in Studio A. They are bringing the concert feeling to you via the airwaves.

Yolo Mambo
Sunday, Oct. 20, 6 p.m., free.
Ketmoree Thai Restaurant, 238 G St.
Davis’ own world jazz group, Yolo Mambo, will be performing. The transglobal rhythms of Yolo Mambo will transport you to Brazil, Cuba, Peru, Cape Verde, France and Spain.

SFJAZZ High School All-Stars and SFJAZZ Collective
Wednesday, Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m., free/$12.50
Mondavi Center
The SFJAZZ High School All-Stars is an eight-person ensemble of the Sacramento region’s most talented high school musicians, that play SFJAZZ Collective charts and compositions and arrangements contributed by the members, and under the direction of Mike McMullen.
Following their performance will be the SFJAZZ Collective itself, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary of quality performances, playing scores by jazz legends, like Thelonius Monk and others.

Mnozil Brass
Tuesday, October 22, 8:00 p.m. $12.50
Mondavi Center
Austria’s Mnozil Brass is an infectious brass band that will be performing at the Mondavi Center. They will be playing lively favorites, such as “Bohemian Rhapsody” and others.

THEATER:
Prelude to a Kiss
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 18-20, 8 p.m., $12 general admission, $10 students and seniors.
Wyatt Deck, UC Davis Arboretum
Common House Productions and the UC Davis Arboretum present Prelude to a Kiss, Craig Lucas’ quirky play about a young woman who swaps lives with an old man on the day of her wedding.

Dracula
Saturday, Oct. 19, 7 p.m., $25.
Davis Art Center, 1919 F St.
Presented by Acme Theater Company, actors tell the story of the seasonal favorite, Dracula. Jack Seward opens a sanitorium in a portion of an old abbey in 1888. Soon after his arrival, many of the patients are taken with a strange illness, even his fiance, Lucy. Meanwhile, the rest of the abbey is purchased by a dark and mysterious neighbor who tends to show when you would least expect.

OTHER:
Artist Reception at the UC Davis Craft Center
Saturday, Oct. 19, 3 p.m., free.
South Silo
The UC Davis Craft Center Gallery presents “Prakuti,” a ceramic show by Latika Jain. “Prakuti” the ceramics in the show incorporate architectural elements. The show will run until Nov. 11.

“The Enchanted Cellar” Costume Rentals and Mad Hatters’ Auction
Wednesday to Friday, Oct. 23 to 25, 3 p.m.
Wright Hall, Room 17
“The Enchanted Cellar” is joining forces with UC Davis Theater and Dance Department, to offer a wonderful array of Halloween costumes to choose from. Choose from 500 fine-crafted costumes and accessories for sale, priced between $1-20. A 50 percent discount on rentals for UC Davis students, faculty and staff will be offered.

“Body of Knowledge”
October 17 to 19, 8 p.m.
Wright Hall, Lab A
Presented by ITDP, “Body of Knowledge” is a non-traditional performance piece that moves across theater, performance art, and visual art to explore ways in which memories are embodied and transformed across time. Performed by Linda Noveroske-Tritten, a UC Davis doctoral candidate in Performance Studies, the show brings up the idea of recasting relationships between materiality and memory.

— Larissa Murray