Campus Chic: The Classics

For all the penny-pinchers out there, how do we, as struggling college students, stay current with the season’s latest trends when we have little to no money to spend on new clothes? In this week’s edition of Campus Chic, fifth-year economics and neurobiology, physiology and behavior double major Jenna Chandler tells MUSE how she finds fashion on a dime.

My response is very black and white: invest in the classics.

“When a design is simple and perfect, it endures the decades and becomes a classic; and when you have that, you got it made,” says Nina Garcia, creative director of Marie Claire magazine.

Have a solid selection of clothes consisting of timeless pieces and incorporate one or two trends of the season that you identify with most into your wardrobe. That way, you avoid purchasing an entire wardrobe that will go out of style in less than a year and have only a few statement pieces that you can recycle later on when they come back in style.

A question I get all the time is, “What’s in this season?” Just to name a few trends for fall/winter 2013, we’re seeing a lot of structured whites and blacks, oversized tailored trousers, bohemian harem pants, bell-bottoms, transparents, metallics, leather, plaid, punk, military and camo.

Now, out of all these trends, I recommend to choose one or two that resonate with your personal style the most and to thrift clothes from flea markets or Goodwill that best resemble the look you are going for. Hand-me-downs and raiding your parents’ closets for vintage pieces are also great ways to access certain trends without having to deal with the expense of purchasing entirely new clothes.

James’ Notes: Accessories are a great way to tailor any look to any style you want. For example, adding a studded cuff or bracelet to a very simple outfit can give you that extra punk edge you’re looking for to complete your look. Remember, it’s all in the wrist.

Q&A with Jenna Chandler

1. If you could describe your personal style in three words, what would they be?

Comfortable, feminine and queer.

2. Who or what is your style icon?

I don’t really follow celebrities or designers too closely; I prefer to make my own style. But in terms of red carpet events, I love Selena Gomez’s outfits.

3. What are your three must-have items in your wardrobe?

A colorful bikini top to make a white lace crop-top more dynamic. High-waisted skirts for those mornings when I only have 10 minutes to get ready. Yoga pants for lazy days.

4. What is your favorite accessory and why?

I don’t like to wear too many accessories, but I do love earrings. I prefer studs that catch the light and reflect well. Simple, but cute.

5. Where do you love to shop and why?

I try not to go shopping too often because I think it’s important to recycle clothing by making old pieces fit the current season. I am also disheartened by the clothing industry and it makes me uncomfortable purchasing clothing made with “cheap labor.” But I try to make old clothes work with new trends by using new outfit combinations, taking my sisters’ old clothes that they no longer wear, and bringing old clothes from years ago back to life when old styles come back in season.

6. What is your most treasured item in your wardrobe?

My black peacoat is my favorite item in my wardrobe in late fall, winter and early spring — especially in Davis, where the weather can get much colder than it does back in Southern California. I love that it can go nicely with a variety of outfits.

7. How has your style changed since high school?

My style has changed so much since high school. Back then, I always wore a black T-shirt, jeans and Vans or Converse. Now, I prefer dresses and skirts in any weather. My fashion style changed as my music taste changed. When I was a teenager, I listened to really dark, intense music. Now, I prefer fun, dance-y music.

8. What does fashion mean to you?

Fashion is incredibly important to my identity as a feminine queer woman. I feel that masculinity or androgyny is often more valued than femininity in queer spaces. So not only does my style challenge stereotypes in mainstream society, but it also challenges expectations within the queer community. My clothing is more than just decoration; it is a statement.

9. What items do you recommend our readers to incorporate in their wardrobes for the fall season?

If you’d like, don’t forget to incorporate cheerful colors into your fall wardrobes. The weather makes our town look gloomy with darkened skies and leafless trees. Maybe a splash of color will brighten your day — or somebody else’s day.

10. What final tips can you give to our fashion-forward readers?

At the end of the day, the only person who needs to be happy with your outfit is you. Wear clothes that make you feel happy and confident.

football-2240

football-2291

football-2306

football-2312