Campus Chic: Feb 20, 2014

In Full Bloom.

When I think “spring,” the quintessential things that come to mind are pastels, lace, chiffon, tulle, bright pops of color, silks, nautical and of course, florals. In this week’s edition of Campus Chic, I decided to choose the beautiful Narvy Preap, a second-year design major, as our “Muse of the Week” because there’s such an effortlessly chic quality to her look and she understands how to make the smooth transition from winter to spring without all the fuss.

She loves florals, but also incorporates items with darker accents into her wardrobe and maintains a muted color palette for added sophistication and edge. I appreciate the juxtaposition of a feminine, floral print with a simple, yet edgy leather jacket — especially when played up by a cute pair of boots and a flowy green maxi skirt, which is totally on-trend for the season as we’re seeing a lot of forest green and earth tones back on the runway. It’s like Bohemian meets New York street-chic with a modern twist and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

James’ Notes: More is more. Spring is all about color and texture so feel free to incorporate more lights and brights into your wardrobe to bring some life and personality to your look. Perhaps it’s time to try a bold neon or metallic? A great deal of the spring/summer 2014 ready-to-wear is pretty out-there in terms of both color and material, but you really never know until you try right? Like Preap says, “When you think you look good, you feel good!” And I say, “Cheers to that.”

Interview with Narvy Preap:

1. If you could describe your personal style in three words, what would they be?
I think my personal style is comfy and casual with an edge.

2. Who or what is your style icon?
I get a lot of my fashion inspiration from a variety of fashion bloggers on Tumblr and Instagram. A couple of my favorites are @hilisaa and @iamamypham. Go check them out!

3. What are your three must-have items in your wardrobe?
My wardrobe staples are V-neck T-shirts in white, black, maroon or gray, thick leggings and a leather jacket. Side note: I think three must-have items that every girl should have in her wardrobe would be a LBD [little black dress], black skinny jeans and a white button up shirt!

4. What is your favorite accessory and why?
I don’t normally wear jewelry or scarves, so I would say my favorite accessory would be a red or wine-colored lip. Lipstick completes an outfit and jazzes it up. If I’m wearing all black, I need a pop of color, so I add lipstick. On the other hand, if I’m having an extremely bad hair day, my favorite accessory would definitely be a beanie or a hat. Beanies and hats are also good for making a boring outfit more fun!

5. Where do you love to shop and why?
Most of my clothes are from Forever 21, Ross or thrift stores. I love to shop at stores that have affordable clothing since I’m on a budget. I like the feeling of getting something super cute for a really good price. One of my favorite pairs of loafers only cost me $2!

6. What is your most treasured item in your wardrobe?
Currently, my treasured item would be my black Nike Roshe Runs. They are so comfortable and cute. I could wear them with leggings and a crew-neck for my long days on campus or I can dress them up with a simple dress and a leather jacket. They’re really versatile.

7. How has your style changed since high school?
My style has changed a lot! During my freshman year of high school, I wore skinny jeans and black Vans almost every day. I rarely wore dresses or shorts because I was still in that insecure phase that a lot of teens go through. I was worried about people making fun of my pale legs and how skinny and awkward I was. During sophomore year, I experimented more with my clothing and began to wear things that were outside of my comfort zone, like tank tops or shorts. It really helped me understand what I liked and what I didn’t like on my tall frame. I began to not care about what others thought of me so my confidence grew. Now, I wear whatever the hell I want to wear even if I get weird looks. You’ll usually catch me wearing leggings and a basic tee, a maxi skirt, high-waisted pants or a casual dress.

8. What does fashion mean to you?
Fashion is something that should make you feel confident. Fashion is not about the price of your clothing. Fashion is wearing a white tee and loose boyfriend jeans and feeling like you just stepped off of a runway. When you think you look good, you feel good!

9. What items would you recommend our readers to incorporate into their wardrobes for the upcoming spring season?
I would definitely recommend florals for both males and females! Florals are just so fun and easy to wear. I would also recommend getting a cute pair of sunglasses!

10. What final tips can you give to our fashion-forward readers?
Wear whatever you want to wear and own it! There are no rules to fashion. If you want to wear Crocs, then wear those Crocs! Be fabulous and confident.