Arts Week: March 12, 2014

MUSIC

Marriage + Cancer/Virga/No Sects/Pockets
March 13, 9:30 p.m., $5
Third Space Art Collective, 946 Olive Drive
This “pissed-pop” band out of Portland, Ore., formerly called (and intentionally misspelled) Nucular Aminals, is stopping by Davis on their Bay Area tour. Think Magnetic Fields meets Nirvana’s guitar and quintessential Portland reverb grime. Also to perform: Virga, a KDVS-frequent local band; No Sects, post-punk and also local; and Pockets, a band with “sweet dreamy tunes,” according to the Facebook event.

Davis Chamber Choir Winter Concert
March 14, 7 p.m., free
Davis United Methodist Church, 1620 Anderson Road
The theme of the Davis Chamber Choir’s winter concert is “The Development of English and German Music” and will explore the languages’ chronological musical progression. The 20-member student-run choir, founded in 2011, performs once quarterly.

Early Music and Baroque Ensemble Concert
March 15, 7 to 9 p.m, $6 suggested donation
The Episcopal Church of St. Martin, 640 Hawthorn Lane
Both the Early Music Ensemble, directed by William Cooper, and the UC Davis Baroque Ensemble, directed by Phebe Craig and Michael Sand, will perform. The Early Music Ensemble is comprised of both vocalists and instrumentalists. The Baroque Ensemble focuses on a later time period, but both ensembles use period-authentic instruments from the UC Davis early instruments collection.

OTHER

Davis Roots Speaker Series: “Where are they now?” with Mark Otero
March 14, 5:30 to 7 p.m., ages 18 and older, free
Hunt-Boyer Mansion, 604 Second St.
Mark Otero received his MBA in 2007 from the UC Davis Graduate School of Management. He went on to found Klicknation, a video game company whose games are played on social networks. Otero sold Klicknation to the video game magnate Electronic Arts, which funneled Klicknation to EA’s popular BioWare gaming developer. Otero is currently a general manager of BioWare Social, focusing on fantasy and science fiction games. The speaker series focuses on local companies and their founders. Refreshments will be provided.

The Art of Appropriation
March 18, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Andrews Conference Room, 2203 Social Sciences and Humanities Building
Davis Humanities Institute Studies in Performance and Practice Research Cluster and The Center for Science and Innovation Studies Presents: The Art of Appropriation is a one-day conference. It will bring together legal, visual media and technology scholars to examine and discuss the role of copyright and ownership in art in the 21st century. The conference will feature talks by Martine Beugnet of Université Paris Diderot (France), Tarek Elhaik of San Francisco State University, Tatiana Flessas of the London School of Economics and Politics and Madahvi Sunder, John Zibell and Mario Biagioli of UC Davis.