This week in sports

Men’s Football (1-5):

UC Davis vs. No. 2 Montana State

On Oct. 11, UC Davis football took on No. 2 Montana State in a homecoming showdown

that saw a very mixed performance by the Aggies. On the positive side, the Aggie offense

looked outstanding for the first time this season against a Division I opponent. Sophomore

quarterback Ben Scott, making his debut as a starter, threw for 379 yards and four touchdowns

including a spectacular one-handed touchdown catch by junior Ramon Vargas. Senior running

back Gabe Manzanares returned to his last-season form, rushing for 142 yards.

On the other side of the ball, the UC Davis defense struggled throughout the day,

allowing opposing quarterback Dakota Prukop to gain 361 yards in the air and 148 yards on the

ground in just three quarters. Three Cougar drives ended in touchdowns in three plays or less,

and they managed to score on all but two possessions in the game.

Don’t miss The California Aggie’s in-depth coverage of the game.

Women’s Golf (3rd, 2nd, 3rd place finishes):

Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational

After a tough first day in which the Aggies finished in sixth place, sophomore Paige Lee

and senior Blair Lewis ended the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational with a strong play, pulling UC

Davis to third place overall. Lewis and Lee, who tied for fourth place individually, finished 2-over

par. Meanwhile, junior Betty Chen finished 16th individually to help the Aggies beat every team

except University of Washington and Stanford.

The UC Davis women’s golf team will play at their last tournament of the fall season, the

Stanford Intercollegiate Tournament, from Oct. 17 to 19. For more coverage on the women’s

golf team, check out The Aggie’s highlight of the team.

Women’s Field Hockey (4-9):

UC Davis vs. California

UC Davis vs. University of Pacific

Between Oct. 6 and 12, UC Davis took on their final two home opponents of the season.

Against Cal, the Aggies were handily defeated as they were only able to score one goal in the

game. Cal jumped out to a 3-0 lead at the end of the first half thanks in part to nine shot

attempts. While UC Davis was able to outshoot their opponents in the second half, only one of

the attempts found the back of the net.

In their final home match of the year, the Aggies defeated the University of Pacific.

Seniors Emily Costa and Stephie Sabraw were each able to score a goal in their last game on

the UC Davis campus, and freshman goalie Briana Sooy was able to keep University of Pacific

off of the scoreboard in the second half to pull out a victory.

Men’s Soccer (4-1-8):

UC Davis @ No. 11 UC Irvine

UC Davis @ CSU Northridge

The UC Davis men’s soccer team saw action twice between Oct. 6 and 12 and watched

as their undefeated streak was ended by UC Irvine. Against the No. 11 Anteaters, the Aggies

attempted three more shots than their opponent but were unable to make up for the 35th minute

goal that snuck past sophomore goalie Armando Quezada.

With their goal of finishing the season undefeated squashed, UC Davis completed its

two game road-trip by tying CSU Northridge. The Aggies were outshot 15-9 and saw senior

captain Ramon Martin Del Campo leave in the 35th minute due to a red card, but they managed

to hold their opponent scoreless for the entire game.

Women’s Soccer (4-8-3):

UC Davis @ Cal Poly

UC Davis @ UC Santa Barbara

Against rival Cal Poly, the UC Davis women’s soccer team came ready to play on

offense, scoring two goals for the first time this season. Junior forward Haley Hughes

contributed both goals for the Aggies, scoring in the 25th and 60th minutes of the match.

After the game, coach Twila Kaufman said, “Haley did a great job validating the hard

work of her teammates; that’s what a goal scorer does.” The win broke a streak of nine games

without a victory.

The Aggies were able to repeat their offensive success against the UCSB Gauchos,

scoring two goals including one by junior forward Sienna Drizin, to force overtime. Still, they fell

in double overtime as the Gauchos scored a game-winner with just 19 seconds left in overtime.

Men’s Tennis:

UCSB Classic

Battle in the Bay

Over the weekend of Oct. 10 to 12, the UC Davis men’s tennis team split up to take on

two tournaments. At the UCSB Classic, several Aggies found success. Freshman Everett

Maltby won the Flight C singles title as well as the doubles Flight A consolation round with junior

Brett Bacharach. Sophomore Jessie Ross and freshman Tommy Lam were able to win the

Flight C doubles championship while sophomore Bryce McKelvie and sophomore James Wade

won the Flight B consolation side.

The Aggies also saw some success in the Bay Area as the pair of sophomores Alec

Adamson and junior Adam Levie fell in the final of the main draw after defeating several higher-
ranked opponents.

Women’s Tennis:

ITA Northwest Regional Championships

Several Aggies competed in the ITA Northwest Regional Championships. Sophomore

Kamila Kecki and sophomore Frederique Sleiffer made it to the round of 32 in the doubles main

draw before being defeated while several other Aggie doubles teams saw success in the

consolation rounds.

UC Davis women’s tennis will play in one more tournament during the fall season before

halting play until January.

Women’s Volleyball (8-9):

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside

After two games away from home, UC Davis women’s volleyball returned to the Pavilion

to take on UC Riverside. In that match, the Aggies swept the Highlanders behind strong play

from sophomores Kendall Walbrecht and Allie Wegener. The Aggies fell behind early in each of

the sets before finishing strong. The team also had 12 total blocks, which added to their Big

West-leading 3.35 blocks per set.

The Aggies have now won three straight games and are just one win away from a .500

record.

Men’s Water Polo (8-12):

UC Davis @ Cal Baptist

So Cal Tournament: @ No. 5 Long Beach State, @ No. 18 Whittier, @ No. 10 Princeton, vs.

No. 12 Pepperdine

Men’s water polo played five games in three days between Oct. 10 and 12, including

four against ranked opponents, and managed to win just one. The first game against Cal Baptist

saw the Aggies tied at nine goals each at the end of regulation, only to lose in overtime. The

next four games, all against ranked opponents, were a part of the SoCal Invitational

Tournament.

The first two games of the tournament, against No. 5 Long Beach State and No. 18

Whittier, were not very close. UC Davis lost to Long Beach State by a margin of three goals

before beating Whittier, who they have already defeated this season, 14-10.

The second day of the tournament saw two much closer games, each one-point losses

by the Aggies. UC Davis trailed for the entirety of the game against No. 10 Princeton and saw a

comeback bid toppled after a 3-0 run. Against No. 12 Pepperdine, the Aggies held a mild

advantage before seeing a game-winning goal by Pepperdine splash into the net with just nine

seconds remaining.

Photo by Ciera Pasturel