This week in men’s sports

Cross Country:

Santa Clara Bronco Invitational

NCAA Pre-Nationals

In the SCU Bronco Invitational, six Aggies competed with junior Eric Neill, pacing the team with an 86th place finish. Junior Miguel Aceves and sophomore Luke Dorman finished in 122nd and 132nd place, respectively.

In the NCAA Pre-Nationals, UC Davis finished in 13th place out of a 28-team field. The Aggies were buoyed by junior Brandon Pugh, who finished the 8-kilometer race in 25.46 minutes. Junior Nick Ratto was the second Aggie to finish, coming in six seconds after Pugh for a 34th-place finish individually.

Football (1-6):

UC Davis @ No. 6 Montana

Visiting the sixth-ranked Montana Grizzlies, the Aggies were defeated 42-28 as UC Davis once again saw strong play from their offense and a weak showing by their defense. Sophomore quarterback Ben Scott, making his second career start, finished with an impressive 257 yards and four touchdowns. Meanwhile, senior running back Gabe Manzanares ran for 110 yards, reaching the 100-yard mark for the second straight game.

The Aggies defense let Montana score almost at will. The Grizzlies scored touchdowns on six of their 11 drives, including a two-play, 70-yard drive. The Aggies will have a week off to prepare for Northern Colorado on Nov. 1.

Golf:

Alister MacKenzie Invitational

After 36 holes of the Alister MacKenzie Invitational, the Aggies sat in fifth place out of the 16-team field. Sophomore Nicholas Noya and junior Luke Vivolo both played their way into the top 10 individually, finishing the day in fifth and ninth place, respectively. UC Davis finished the day just a shot behind San Diego State.

A strong second day by Noya and senior Matt Seramin, who shot a 1-under 70, propelled the Aggies to a fourth-place finish overall. Noya and Vivolo held their fifth- and ninth-place spots while Seramin vaulted into 11th place. This tournament marked the last weekend of fall play for the Aggies. The team will resume play in February.

Soccer (5-1-8):

UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara

The UC Davis men’s soccer team delivered a stunning victory in an overtime game in front of a sold-out crowd. The Aggies played much of the game with an extra man after UCSB player Brandon Brockway was sent off six minutes into the second half. Still, they were unable to score until junior Lucas Mohageg put one into the net in the 107th minute of the game.

The Aggies now share the top record in Big West play with UC Irvine and Cal Poly, each team having gone 3-1-1 thus far. They will go on a three-game road trip before returning home for the final two games of the season on Nov. 1 and 5.

Tennis:

ITA Northwest Regional

Two Aggies are currently still alive in the ITA Northwest Regional as the doubles tandem of sophomore Alec Adamson and junior Adam Levie are advancing to the semifinals of the main draw. In the singles draw, no player was able to advance past the Round of 32.

Water Polo (9-12):

UC Davis vs. Concordia University

The No. 12 Aggies were able to get out to a fast start against visiting Concordia University, leading 9-3 at halftime before coasting to a 13-8 win. Senior utility Chris Richardson scored five of the team’s goals while junior Sean Grab and sophomore Jacob Lay finished with two each. Freshman Spencer Creed, who has played almost all of the Aggies’ minutes in goal this year, had 14 saves on that day, including 10 in the first half.